• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice!!!

Comment

Good job.

Comment

Very nice. Can't wait to see something smoking!!

Comment

vented on the side

got to have bacon hangers
          Attached Files

Comment

test run

It "drawed" beautifully -just cant get as hot as I'd like, so smoke/heat box remodel in the future . I also added battons on the gaps.
            Attached Files

Comment

In for the meat photos. What is the ideal temp for a box like that?

Comment

Seal the cracks and rig up a damper. Bet you can get that temp up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

missed a photo op

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                  In for the meat photos. What is the ideal temp for a box like that?
                  I've tried a small sausage run they came out OK-wished the temp would have been higher.I only got to 150-160ish,kida worried me but I did use the sodium nitrite.My wife put it in spaghetti I had no stomach issues.

Comment

agree

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                    Seal the cracks and rig up a damper. Bet you can get that temp up.

I put small strips (battons) over the gaps,have not tried a run it yet. I dont want to burn it down but I want a bigger heat/smoke source.... Damper the main vent?.....might try that ...thanks.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by HoustonR6ryda; 05-16-2018, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonR6ryda View Post
                      I put small strips (battons) over the gaps,have not tried a run it yet. I dont want to burn it down but I want a bigger heat/smoke source.... Damper the main vent?.....might try that ...thanks.

Yeah test it with some duct tape while you do the next run. Put tape over 1/3 of it and see what the temperature does.

Comment

Great build.

Comment

A couple of things that I can see from my chair. I'm pretty new to smoking so take it for what it's worth.

Are you running with your firebox door open at all? If not, try that first. If you have it closed, and are only drawing air through that small hole I see in the door, you are not getting nearly enough air to get a smoke chamber that size very hot.

The exhaust vent does seem excessively large. I can't come up with a reason in my mind why the exhaust vent would need to be much larger than your air intake on firebox.

That is a very large drafty box to heat with a small fire but I think it can work. I'd rip small slats to cover the joints like they do on cedar siding. I built a small offset smoker using an old propane bottle the same size as yours for a fire box and a 30 gallon air compressor tank for the smoke chamber. It works like a dream. I can do any temp i desire with it. Your smoke chamber is at least 4 times larger than mine though.

Did you do the brick work? If so, I'd just brick up a firebox right against it or off set using your current connection. Just weld up a door to fit it with an adjustable air intake.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                            A couple of things that I can see from my chair. I'm pretty new to smoking so take it for what it's worth.

Are you running with your firebox door open at all? If not, try that first. If you have it closed, and are only drawing air through that small hole I see in the door, you are not getting nearly enough air to get a smoke chamber that size very hot.

The exhaust vent does seem excessively large. I can't come up with a reason in my mind why the exhaust vent would need to be much larger than your air intake on firebox.

That is a very large drafty box to heat with a small fire but I think it can work. I'd rip small slats to cover the joints like they do on cedar siding. I built a small offset smoker using an old propane bottle the same size as yours for a fire box and a 30 gallon air compressor tank for the smoke chamber. It works like a dream. I can do any temp i desire with it. Your smoke chamber is at least 4 times larger than mine though.

Did you do the brick work? If so, I'd just brick up a firebox right against it or off set using your current connection. Just weld up a door to fit it with an adjustable air intake.
                            yep, with a better air intake on the firebox there is no reason you couldn't have fire coming out the end of that square tubing instead of smoke. Hell even force air with a fan with the door open to just get by if you have to.....

Comment

Man, this turned out really good. You had me guessing at first. I like it, good build.

Comment

Looks good. I'm sure you'll get it dialed in with a little tweaking.

Comment

Working...
                                X