Planting trees and habitat improvement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
    I have only gone thru a couple of years, but so far the trees that have rubbed had all done fine the next year.
    From what I have read they will mostly survive, just not grow as fast...

I'm trying to build up cover ASAP. That's why I am thinking for $120 worth of tubes it might be worth my money. But to do it right and encourage quick upward growth I believe u have to continue buying taller tubes as needed.

Guess I will wait to see what damage if much occur...

Comment

I'm mostly concerned about flooding. Everything I've read says 24hrs under water and they die. Has that been your experience?

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
        I'm mostly concerned about flooding. Everything I've read says 24hrs under water and they die. Has that been your experience?
        At what age? If true, I will lose some.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
          Are you talking ankle deep water or you mean deep?

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
            Are you talking ankle deep water or you mean deep?
            for this stand.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389219624125.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	24277420

Comment

You might need to plant moss or seaweed! I truly think it might be a waste of time to plant there, unless you could get a year or two w/o that kind of flooding.... But I'm no expert....

Comment

Excellent! Going to be beautiful when you're finished

Comment

any game camera pics ???

Comment

Not sure if you are going to plant different types of trees, red/white/live oaks, maples..etc, but a good source for free trees may be your local nursery. If you have a nursery in the area who grows their own trees from the 1gal size and up they more than likely purge yearly non saleable trees. I have a buddy who runs one and they trash hundreds of trees every year because they are not straight or have a non-desirable limb configuration. More than likely these will be trees 4'-10' tall some maybe even larger. This last year he trashed almost 600 oaks of different varieties. Its worth looking into it might save you a little money and a few years on your growing time.

Comment

Getting corn planted. May have to replant my sweet com. It had already come up then we have the freeze last week.
                      Attached Files

Comment

The trees from the first planting
                        Attached Files

Comment

The sweet corn I planted few Weeks ago.
                          Attached Files

Comment

well, going to get to see how well some of mine do with the wrath of the Sulphur River about to flood them. Planted about 20 in the river bottom just to see if they could survive a flood.

Comment

THis last year was a dud planting trees. Nearly all that I planted this year died for some reason. I couldn't plant till June, and ordered trees for a different source, so not sure wha the deal was, but going to go back to my old source and hope to get things planted earlier this winter.

BUT the cool thing is the POND GUYS(Mike Otto) showed up this morning!!!! I have been waiting since last October, and they are finally here!!! But they got rained out in first hour........... Oh well they are here. Hoping to get 3-4 acre pond, but should know by the end of the week. It will be a swimming/fishing pond.
                              Last edited by BrianL; 09-09-2015, 10:11 AM.

Comment

just read this thread and I love the idea, best of luck to you

Comment

Working...
                                X