View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #169
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorsniper View Post
Matt, you're doing everything right, man. I lost my father 19 years ago from a sudden heart-attack when he was only 56 and I was 19. I didn't want to get over it, I wanted to remember him every way I could. His voice, his mannerisms, his sayings, his laugh....you name it. It was my own way of dealing with it. I'm a self-confessed tear-shedder and I can't count the amount of time I spent sitting in the grass by my father's grave crying and talking aloud to him. Did that seem strange to some? I'm sure it did, but it's how I dealt with it and after a period of time the pain and giant hole that I felt lessened and those feelings were slowly replaced by the good memories of him and how blessed I was to have such a great father and I still feel that way today.

Regarding your interest in your kids.....you are on the right track!! My dad never forced me to do the things he liked, but I still liked most of them anyway. The things I didn't like weren't forced on me and my dad took special interest and got involved in things that he had no real interest in. That is HUGE to a child and I can't understate that. I too have several kids and I don't know if they will adopt my same interests, but I know I'll adopt theirs. Over the past week the stories of John's life has further reminded me of that. Not just with my children, but in ALL of my relationships. While I never had the privilege of meeting him, he had a huge impact on me by the way he carried himself on this board and also how he took time for everyone, including me. I need to be more like John.....and his life has inspired me to do that. You also inspire me because you also are taking the reigns from John in how you deal with your children and other people. I commend you and thank you for your posts!!

My prayers are still with your family. (and I'm not just saying that casually...I mean it!) I know that one of the hardest parts after losing someone so close is getting back into a routine after the visitors have left, the phone calls and cards in the mail slowly start to die down, and everything has quieted down........but you're still left with a huge hole in your life. Just be sure to do what you have to do each day with regards to spending time, etc. with your family, friends, co-workers, etc., but don't hold back any feelings you have. Talking and crying are great medicine when you're hurting.

Thank you and God Bless,

predatorsniper

WOW!!! Very nice sir!!
Fishndude is offline   Back To The Top