View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 12:19 AM   #162
Lip
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Excellent post, Gilbert. I know that many people were touched by the words spoken by Mr. Carnathan, Matt and Mark at the service, and have paused to reflect on the statement that Mr. Carnathan made, and that now appear in Mary's signature, about "What the world needs is more men like John Lee..." (with due respect to the women in this world and on this site). He followed that by having us ask ourselves if our children would say we're good fathers, if our spouses would say we're great husbands, and we can, of course, extend that to brothers/sisters, family, friends, leaders, etc.

I was thinking before the funeral that the world lost a great man when John Lee died, and while it's true that the world was a better place when John was here, it is still a better place, and we are better people, for having had John in our lives. Of course, that is only true if we continue to honor his legacy by remembering and emulating those quality traits that we learned from him.

Personally, like John, I have only daughters (three), and while I think we do a lot together as a family, I have decided that I want to spend more one-on-one time with each of them by taking them to a movie (like John did frequently with Jamie), or to lunch or hanging out with them one at a time, in addition to the time we spend together as a family.

Michael
I had an eye opening experience a number of years ago. I spent a lot of time with my daughter when she was 2 and then a lot from her teens up. I wish I'd spent more time with her in between but glad my involvement increased while she was still willing to allow it. If I'd waited a couple more years, it probably would have been too late. We still have one-on-one time at least every couple of months and she's 26. If I go too long without setting it up, she'll text me and ask me to go out with her. She'll even pick up the check sometimes. My wife and I go out on a date almost every Thursday evening. Ocassionally my daughter will ask what our plans are and I know that means she wants to tag along with us.

Make time for and cherish time with your family. She's getting married in December and who knows if the future S-I-L will want her to be that involved in our lives.
Lip is offline   Back To The Top