Strength training for kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 9 yr old wants a bench and free weights, anyone have resources for strength training for kids? I know it can be damaging to growth plates if done improperly. I’m inclined to just keep him doing push ups, prison squats and pull ups.

Originally posted by Playa View Post
    My 9 yr old wants a bench and free weights, anyone have resources for strength training for kids? I know it can be damaging to growth plates if done improperly. I’m inclined to just keep him doing push ups, prison squats and pull ups.
    Just keep him doing what he’s doing. Don’t put a kid that young on weights

Comment

Don't do it! Just find a strength and conditioning coach for youth players. They mainly stick with jump boxes and running with a few medicine ball drills.

Comment

No weights that young. My son has had a strength and conditioning coach for over a year and they do nothing with weights. A little bit with bands and medicine balls but the majority is jumping and push ups/ set ups
        Last edited by aggie2000tx; 02-04-2018, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Get after it. The old way of thinking was that it would stunt growth and hurt the child. That is not true. Peer reviewed research has proven otherwise. Obviously he doesn't need to be working for a one rep max, but weight training will not hurt him. Studies have shown that resistance training in prepubescent males will stimulate testosterone production and growth hormone production. It actually does the opposite of what we had heard for years. The reason kids are so much bigger in high school now has more to do with the fact that they start lifting weights in middle school than waiting until later. Make sure he uses good technique and let him go.

Comment

When I was coming up it was hauling hay and moving pipe, driving t-post and digging post holes.

Comment

Nothing wrong with lifting weights. I personally wouldn't have him do reps less than 6 but that is just a personal decision not based on anything factual.

Your body doesn't know the difference between lifting itself, a haybale, a dumbbell, or resistance bands. All your body knows is the resistance it is moving. Carrying a ball around or doing box jumps isn't safer on your joints than squatting or doing dumbbell lunges. I would say a greater chance of injury would happen with doing box jumps

Comment

Google Zero Block Training. You will find a lot of info. I keep up with Joe Kenn “Bighousepower”. He is the S&C coach for the Carolina Panthers. He has several accolades - NFL and NSCA coach of the year awards. We use a lot of what he teaches/coaches with all levels of our athletes. Zero Block especially for our incoming 7th-9th grades. Mostly body weight movements along with bands, kettle bells, and dumbbells. Master those movements before adding weight. There are several YouTube videos with zero block training as well.
                Last edited by mojohunter; 02-04-2018, 10:10 PM.

Comment

The old school way of thinking no weights that young is gone. He doesn’t need to be maxing out everyday but some weights are good. We’ve got a group for the kiddos at out CrossFit gym that’s awesome. Lots of body weight stuff with a few days of lifting mixed in.

Comment

Pretty much all you need to know

Comment

Get him TRX, all body weight lifting.

Comment

My kid was into so much at that age he had no time to train. Football- soccer-baseball- kick boxing-track. I would get him exposure into as much as possible and make him an athlete. Every sport will help with the other. No help on training at that age. We started my youngest about 13 years old but he also dropped to one sport

Comment

My 9yr old is in an off season strength conditioning program, and they use no weights. They teach technique then apply it with strength building exercises. Lots of medicine ball, jump blocks, parachute and resistance sprints. He comes home wiped out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No weights...Push ups and sit ups

Comment

Stay with natural body strength, push ups, pull ups, dips, etc.. No weights! Maybe some resistance with bands.

I wouldn't start weight training until hormones start pumping through the kids body and that won't be until 12 or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X