No announcement yet.

Moore Plantation... Turkeys, predators, and wildlife management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I killed a nice sow while turkey hunting out there this past spring. There had to be 8 - 10 hogs. Looks like they've been out there rooting quite frequently in the area I typically hunt...

Originally posted by TXsportsman84 View Post
    I'm interested. I haven't seen any hogs in the last 3 years I have been there though. We have seen and heard turkeys last year.

Comment

Originally posted by GraceNmercy View Post
      Well plan on it right after deer season and once we get enough folks on board we'll schedule some dates..
      Sounds good to me.

Comment

I'd be interested

Comment

I'm interested. My place is just south of the Moore. I'd love to contribute.

Comment

Awesome! I just spoke with Don Hightower, who will lead the training and he said anytime after deer season and before turkey season should be fine, so maybe February or early March. He has some great plans so it should be a great event.

We're having quite a bit of interest and still in the early planning stages, but just a heads up to those who haven't been there, but Moore plantation has no lodging, so there's a good possibility that we will have to rough it and camp out in tents. Not sure if anyone was expecting anything different, but just thought I'd make everyone aware. I'm an ole country boy who loves camping, but some folks might not be up for it that time of year if a cold front happens to blow in during the time frame we're out there.

I have some close friends who own a marina on Toledo Bend who might work out a good deal on a cabin rental for a couple of nights, but they probably can't accommodate too large of a group, but that's currently the only other option I have.

As far as food arrangements, when our NWTF committee usually puts together outdoor excursions like this, we typically chip in on food/drinks, and a few of us usually brink some of our game harvest like ground venison or something to make burgers, spaghetti, chili..etc.

As I said, we're still in the early planning stages and I wanted to make known some of the possible arrangements since these are volunteer services, so we're open to any input/suggestions from those of you planning to participate. I met the writer for the sports/outdoors section of the Hemphill Daily News while turkey hunting out there this past spring, and she's interested in covering the event as well for the local paper...

Comment

I'd be interested, I hunted the Moore last year for the first time. I have a camp 10 minutes from there. I think it would be a great learning experience

Comment

I've seen a ton of yotes around where I hunt the Moore. I've only been able to kill one and that was only because he ran right up to me while squirrel hunting.

Comment

Yep...thinning out a few will definitely help both the deer and turkey population in the area. Have quite a few people wanting to participate so far. Should be a great event...

Originally posted by Silverstang View Post
                  I've seen a ton of yotes around where I hunt the Moore. I've only been able to kill one and that was only because he ran right up to me while squirrel hunting.

Comment

So due to a swamped schedule I postponed putting this event on at Moore Plantation this winter/Spring. We will shoot for a date in the not so distant future to host it in an effort to help turkey and deer populations.

That said, we are doing our annual trapping and outdoor education at the Gus Engling WMA. Don and Kieth are still coming out to set traps on this Sunday and we will go out to check them on Monday morning. They will also be doing a beaver, coyote and feral hog snaring show for local landowner who are starting a co-op for a turkey release in the Anderson/Cherokee county area.

You guys are welcome to come out and participate in the trapping segment of the event.
                    The on Tuesday we will cover the wild turkey and habitat management segments. Lots of info, demonstrations, tours and even calling in real turkeys in the area for a photo/video contest.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you more info. Here is the link to the flyer on our facebook page..

https://www.facebook.com/11123415225...type=3&theater
                    Last edited by GraceNmercy; 03-07-2018, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X