Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google is no help....so here's my electrical question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google is no help....so here's my electrical question....

Can the main breaker panel for a dwelling be located inside the garage now?

I'm outside of any enforced code area, but still want to do it correctly.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mine was inside the garage when I lived in El Paso

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

don't see why not, its the best place.

Comment

Mine is inside the garage but, the house was built in '67. Seems like a really good and logical place to put it.

Comment

It can be anywhere in the house. Closets, hallways, etc...

Mine is located in my pantry.

Comment

Mine is inside the garage built in 1999

Comment

Originally posted by UTnumber1 View Post
              It can be anywhere in the house. Closets, hallways, etc...

Mine is located in my pantry.
              Nope, can't be in a closet or pantry any longer. Garage is okay

Comment

Are you talking about having the meter on the exterior and the main breaker and 220's inside the house along with all other smaller breakers?

Comment

I just went through this on a new install. If you're outside the city (ie not subject to city fire codes) the electrical provider can tell you what they'll service and what they won't. My electrician got a diagram from the electrical service provider and set it up to meet their specs. The electrician says the provider in an unincorportated area is the 'local authority' and sets the specs. The electric co rep came out and said what the electricain told me was correct.

Long story short, if the electric co says its ok, it's ok.

Electricians, don't shoot the messenger. Just repeating what i was told by a guy who knows what he's talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by BonesandArrow View Post
                    Are you talking about having the meter on the exterior and the main breaker and 220's inside the house along with all other smaller breakers?
                    Yes

Comment

Originally posted by JP135 View Post
                      I just went through this on a new install. If you're outside the city (ie not subject to city fire codes) the electrical provider can tell you what they'll service and what they won't. My electrician got a diagram from the electrical service provider and set it up to meet their specs. The electrician says the provider in an unincorportated area is the 'local authority' and sets the specs. The electric co rep came out and said what the electricain told me was correct.

Long story short, if the electric co says its ok, it's ok.

Electricians, don't shoot the messenger. Just repeating what i was told by a guy who knows what he's talking about.
                      Excellent. Calling now

Comment

I live outside the city limits of Bullard and my house is an 05-06 built home. The breaker box is in the garage. Just inside the wall from the outside meter.

Comment

Absolutely

Comment

I don't see why a provider would let you put the meter inside the house or garage. I have never seen one done that way.

Comment

Garage or exterior is the normal now. Closets and bathrooms are not allowed. Most new construction is in the garage though.

Comment

Working...
                              X