Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6th generation. My family settled near Palmer in Ellis County in 1846

Comment

I am 5th generation. GGgrandparents made their home in Pecos County. Ggrandparents settled in Ft Stockton.

Comment

4th generation on my Dads side. MY G.G.Grandparents homesteaded in Moscow, Texas in 1851. They came from Virginia.

I am a 10th generation American. The 1st ancestor that I have proof of is Thomas Harris 1573/1658 Born England died in Virginia.

Comment

5th ... family came to Texas from Germany in the 1880’s

Comment

First in my bloodline, 2nd if you count the man who adopted me and gave me his last name.

Comment

Here's some work on our family history my Aunt did.

Your paperwork went in a few days ago and if all goes well you will be verified as a direct descendant of a Revolutionary War soldier.

1. His name was George Ridley who was born in Virginia Jan. 1737. He was not a spring chicken when he fought in the French and Indian War and later in the Revolution. He was called a Over Mountain Man. If your are old enough to remember Mel Gibson's movie "The Patriot" the location and battles depicted were the ones that our Captain Ridley fought in real life. He managed to sire 16 children and they all lived to adulthood. No mean feat in those days. After the war was over he moved his big family on rafts to settle in middle Tennessee. Right after landing they were attacked by Indians so after the battle he and his sons built a fort were the family lived for several years. I have a drawing of the fort done by the historian, Lyman Draper.

2. We are from his 10th child, Thomas Ridley, Esq, the first Sheriff of Williamson County, Tennessee. The Civil War Battle of Franklin took place on part of his land. None of his sons lived so we descent from one of his daughters, Mary Margaret.

3. Mary Margaret married a Virginian, George Jefferson Rine in 1830. The wedding took place in Nashville in the home of Captain George and Sarah Ridley. After the birth of sons, George and Thaddeus, George J. and Mary M. moved into newly opened Choctaw lands in Mississippi. They became Mormons and left Yalobusha Co., Miss. to travel to a Colony some where between Medina Co. and Boerne,Texas. George J. never took a second wife and soon quit the Colony to take up ranching. He also served in a local militia to defend against the Indians and later in the Civil War (at 57 yrs). He and his wife were buried some where around Pipe Creek near Bandera.

4. Thaddeus Rine was born in 1832 and left his family when he was about 14. He lived in other peoples homes as a laborer. He married Missouri Anne Pittman probably in Shelby Co., Tennessee. The Memphis area was a boom town of that era and was a good place to find work. In 1863, after his parent's Mormon phase was over he and Missouri Anne moved to be near them in the Bandera area. He quickly became the 2nd Sheriff of Bandera County and serve till late 1864. The Governor of Texas placed him in the Texas Home Guard, along with his Sheriff duties, to be sure to keep the settlers safe from Indians and Mexican bandits. He did not allow him to join the War until it's last days. After the War Thaddeus signed the Amnesty papers and quickly became Sheriff again. His father held out till the last day before signing. Thaddeus and his cronies on the Petit Court in Bandera managed to keep the Carpet Baggers at bay for the long years of Reconstruction. They were quite devious and down right sneaky with the dealings with the yankees. Grandma and I found records of their antics in the old jail and we gave them with his photo to the Bandera Courthouse. Thaddeus and Missouri Anne had 13 children and we are from Francis Josephine Rine, born in 1865.

5. Francis remembered her childhood as free and wonderful. She would tell me what it was like growing up in Bandera, riding their horses, ice skating on the ponds (really) and all the family weddings and parties. All that ended when her father forbade her to marry a gambler. She was head strong and married the next man who asked, Gus Huebner, Sr. They eloped to San Antonio. The marriage produced about 11 children. I am not sure because several died very early. I was about 9 or 10 when she had her accident and died so I can not personally say that her life was not all that happy. Others have told me that she did not have a good marriage and I found her divorce papers from Gus. They remarried about 3 years later. She was my favorite and I loved her very much. One of her sons was Gus Huebner, Jr. who was a home builder.

6. Gus Jr. met and married Ilma Marie Gembler. She was barely 16 and a little spoiled and wanted her way. Her mother died when she was nine and the baby of the family. Her father doted on her and her sister Edith and finally agreed to the marriage. Your grandma can remember the older people talking about that wedding and the party afterward. It must have been a dilly because it lasted three days. (You probably know the sad story of their lives-no need to retell it.) The marriage produced two children, Inez Marie born March 20, 1913 and three years later, Merl Arthur was born.

7. Inez Marie Huebner met George Clifton Guthrie in 1935. He was a soldier from Smithville, Oklahoma and was stationed at Fort Sam Houston. They married September 9, 1936 in Boerne, Texas with only one witness, Ilma Marie Huebner. Our family was very poor and the Depression had hit them hard. Inez kept the marriage secret because she would be fired from her job at the Telephone Company if married. The secret was not kept very long because I was born December 14, 1937. Fourteen months later a son was born on February 27, 1939. Mammy and your grandma swear that he was born on leap year and the doctor wrote another date so Clifton William Guthrie could have a birthday every year.

8. Now we come to you, the eighth person in a bloodline reaching back to the Revolutionary War.

Comment

4th on both sides, and they came from Louisiana and Tennessee.

Comment

5-6 gen i think. Fathers side fought at San Jacinto and Moms side fought at the Alamo.

Comment

2nd. 13th gen American though.

Comment

7th, here. English and Welsh on my dads side. He was a well known 'Texas State Artist'. Grandfather held the discus record at UT for around 30 years I think. Still have a family Pennsylvania musket from Texas Revolution, hanging on my wall, with powderhorn. We have it all written down in books somewhere in my fam.
                      Last edited by staplehawk; 02-05-2018, 02:53 PM.

Comment

I had family on my Fathers side fight in the Texas Revolution, mostly around the Goliad area as Militia soldiers.

Comment

So far I am at least 4th generation as per my GGF born in Kendall Co. in 1889. I am trying to figure out where my G.G. Grandparents were born.

Comment

4th I think
                            son is 5th
                            grandsons are 6th
                            great grandchildren are 7th

Comment

I am 5th gen. Grandkids are 7th. Family originally came from England in early 1800. Several “notable” early Tatom’s. A Methodist preacher in Tn/Ky area who had 7 wives. Apparently life with him was hazardous to your health. Another, like S Slick mentioned, was partial to “borrowing” horses. One gentleman spelled his last name as Tatom, Tatem, Tatum, & Tathem in his own handwritten will! One Tatom died at Battle of Goliad. Looking up family history at old courthouses is interesting.

Comment

Havent counted, but on my dads side the last ( great great? ) grandfather not born in Texas was born in Mexico in 1853.

Comment

Working...
                                X