No announcement yet.

Deer Ecology 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Touching on TOT's previous post, when recommending harvest recommendations on ranches I have worked on and with. My general rule, is to take out the bottom percentage of each age class of bucks. In other words, if you have an estimated (20) 3 year old bucks, and all of them are 10 points except for 5 8 points, take out the two 8 points. Same goes for everything 2yrs and older. 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 year old age class bucks.

My reasoning for this is based mainly on HF ranches. My analogy is that there are only so many seats at the table, and you need to have the better looking deer sitting there, not the smaller deer. I know as always, there are always exceptions to the rule, but it's a general start to getting better deer. "Trophy" animals are always dependent on the ranch, time, genetics and 100 other things....

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
      Touching on TOT's previous post, when recommending harvest recommendations on ranches I have worked on and with. My general rule, is to take out the bottom percentage of each age class of bucks. In other words, if you have an estimated (20) 3 year old bucks, and all of them are 10 points except for 5 8 points, take out the two 8 points. Same goes for everything 2yrs and older. 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 year old age class bucks.

My reasoning for this is based mainly on HF ranches. My analogy is that there are only so many seats at the table, and you need to have the better looking deer sitting there, not the smaller deer. I know as always, there are always exceptions to the rule, but it's a general start to getting better deer. "Trophy" animals are always dependent on the ranch, time, genetics and 100 other things....
      Is it a bad thing to let 8 pointers walk? I let a nice 8 walk, he looked to be 3 1/2 with good tine length and good mass.

Comment

What is your opinion on nubbins based on the research that they relocate before age 1yr?

Comment

It's not bad to let 8's walk. All depends on your existing genetics and herd makeup. I personally love really big 8's. The number of antler points is irrelevant except to the landowner/manager. If all you have to work with are 8-9pt genetics, maximize them the best you can with better nutrition and habitat.

Nubbin bucks are just this years born fawns. Some will and some won't actually break the skin. This is why I always completely disregard the harvest of yearling deer. Small rack size as a yearling is influenced by waaaay too many things from being born late, not enough groceries from momma..... Let them get to at least 2 years before making any kind of decision.

Comment

Also, a WTD's typical home range is only about 1-1.5 sq miles, except during the rut. They really don't migrate to any extent down here or "relocate" unless there is a very high density of bucks and fighting displaces them.

Comment

Also, a WTD's typical home range is only about 1-1.5 sq miles, except during the rut. They really don't migrate to any extent down here or "relocate" unless there is a very high density of bucks and fighting displaces them.

How much land can a big buck cover during the rut?

Comment

4-5 miles on average

Comment

4-5 miles on average

Thanks

Comment

It's not bad to let 8's walk. All depends on your existing genetics and herd makeup. I personally love really big 8's. The number of antler points is irrelevant except to the landowner/manager. If all you have to work with are 8-9pt genetics, maximize them the best you can with better nutrition and habitat.

Nubbin bucks are just this years born fawns. Some will and some won't actually break the skin. This is why I always completely disregard the harvest of yearling deer. Small rack size as a yearling is influenced by waaaay too many things from being born late, not enough groceries from momma..... Let them get to at least 2 years before making any kind of decision.
                    Do you think nubbins should be off limits?

I like reading a lot of biologist material. I was reading about radio telemetry studies and they tagged some nubbins. The results were 100% of them relocated anywhere from 1 mile to 5 miles away with an extreme case of a long distance relocation. Have yall put radio collars on any deer? Just curious what the results would be.

Comment

Tagged, good stuff, thanks

Comment

I really think that distances deer travel really depends on the deer.

We had one deer on camera most of august and then he disappeared during most of September. We started picking him up again in October.

While surfing on the hunting forums one guy on there posted a pic of the same deer which was from September. Turns out this guys place is at least 5 miles away as a crow flys. So in essence this deer traveled at least 15 miles back and forth in 3 months.
                        Last edited by westexhunter75; 01-02-2017, 06:20 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Great thread.

Comment

Yes, nubbins should be off limits. Distance travelled depends on doe density and bucks density in a given area to determine how far they HAVE to travel to find does.

Comment

If strictly high fence, I'm with ya 100%! Otherwise just let all the bucks get old. I can expand on that if anyone wants.

Comment

That home range is correct for most of Texas. It's much larger out west, rolling plains, and Panhandle because habitat is not uniform across the landscape in those areas.

Comment

Working...
                                X