Planting wheat and oats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planting wheat and oats?

Besides deer season ending and not seeing 90% of the deer we normally see. Is there a time when planting wheat or oats wont germinate and grow? We have 400 acres of unplanted fields due to waiting on the army to go away and now all the rain.

They will germinate at any time, even in July. The problem in July is the heat will kill them. Wait for the army worms and you are good.

Comment

Dave I have seen it planted in December before, do yall have any volunteer coming up ?

Comment

Plant away! The worms ate all mine no way am I am going to look at dirt the rest of the year.

Comment

Just plant them when you can get in the fields. Deer like them best after they been up for a week or two. Still tender

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
            Dave I have seen it planted in December before, do yall have any volunteer coming up ?
            There might be some coming up. We still have a few deer coming out in the fields.
            Last year on the road field they didnt plant. The deer were still eating a big weed looking plant that a small purple flower on it. My concern is down the road both sides look like plush astro turf

Comment

It’s okay to plant now if you can get it in with all the moisture.

Going on an adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                There might be some coming up. We still have a few deer coming out in the fields.
                Last year on the road field they didnt plant. The deer were still eating a big weed looking plant that a small purple flower on it. My concern is down the road both sides look like plush astro turf
                You would have to broadcast the seed from a helicopter right now,lol, I hope ours did not all wash down beaver creek, those deer still going to come across your place to get to that wheat , we did not get planted over in Thalia either.

Comment

Finally got my first plots planted three weeks ago and even got some rain on them but now the lack of sun is the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                    Finally got my first plots planted three weeks ago and even got some rain on them but now the lack of sun is the issue.
                    Lack of sun isn't an issue

Comment

sounds like worms have eaten everything down to the dirt i would go with rye grass broadcast on top of the ground. Otherwise with it so wet your a few weeks from getting planted.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy D Mercer View Post
                        sounds like worms have eaten everything down to the dirt i would go with rye grass broadcast on top of the ground. Otherwise with it so wet your a few weeks from getting planted.
                        Deer don't eat rye grass.

Comment

Hire a pilot and get that seed in there QUICK!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                            Deer don't eat rye grass.
                            I beg to differ, it just doesn’t stay as palatable as long as oats or wheat does. Deer love rye when it’s new growth

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                              Lack of sun isn't an issue
                              Strange, I thought photosynthesis was a thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X