No announcement yet.

Henry Vs. Marlin 45-70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have owned two Marlins in 45-70. One was ported guide gun, the other was 1895 CB. I still own the 1895 and made my own loads for it that are manageable and fun to shoot. 400 gr flat nose cast bullet and 25 grs AA-5744. I get 1280fps with that load and recoil is not bad.

I will probably draw some fire over this but the Guide Gun was no fun to shoot and a piece of garbage.

Comment

I like my stainless Guide Gun. JM of course. The thing with the 45-70 is that it is just thumpy enough that most used rifles won’t have been shot much. If you find a used JM Marlin, that would be the one to get. It will only increase in value and will handle some heavy duty work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by banzai View Post
        Dry fire both from the prone. Buy the one that has ergonomics that instantly lock your rear grip, fore grip, cheek weld, and eye relief together to give you instant and repeatable Natural Point Of Aim.

To do this from the prone, establish good sight picture, good sight alignment, close eyes, breathe all in, all out, pause at bottom. Still on target? If yes, dry fire (note the feel of the trigger as it breaks). If not on target when you open your eyes, re-align to get good sight picture, good sight alignment, move your legs, hips, and body to make this happen. If one gun does this much easier than the other, buy that one.
        Yeah but natural point of aim doesn’t matter if you’re swinging your rifle across a pasture.....

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
          Yeah but natural point of aim doesn’t matter if you’re swinging your rifle across a pasture.....
          I'd say that if the lever gun's ergonomics lends itself to create natural point of aim when you bring it to shoulder and swing quickly it like a well-fitted shotgun or a trad bow (ie gun hits where you look) buy that gun.

If you can't shoot natural point of aim slowly with a gun, you probably cannot shoot it NPA fast on a moving target. Then the questions become what is the definition of NPA and is it required to hit the target consistently when the target does not to be hit? That might be more important than cosmetics to some.
          Last edited by banzai; 08-20-2019, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDraw View Post
            This ^^^^
            Not sure if mentioned, but marlin has a new Dark series
            I actually like these for some reason and plan on getting a 336 at some point.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys. Think I'm going with a Marlin. Just have to find a nice used JM model now.

Comment

I am only going to add that if you buy the marlin, either new or JM, look at the stock. I have never seen a worse example of "checkering" on any gun than on the Marlins and being a JM doesn't mean anything in this instance. I have been going to buy about 4 different 1895s, both new and JM models, and put them back because of the wood. And i am not expecting some masterful level of checkering, but when Mossberg's 464 can do it reasonably well, i think Marlin should be able to as well. Hell, the old press in checkering would look better than what they are doing now

Comment

What accuracy should I expect out of a Marlin 1894 with an optic. Any guys achieving 1 MOA?

Comment

How much price difference is between the henry and the marlin

Comment

Originally posted by Louis View Post
                      How much price difference is between the henry and the marlin
                      About 100 dollars give or take

Comment

Where does Winchester fit between Marlin and Henry?

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                          Better than both in my opinion.

Comment

Stronger, better looking, and about double the cost.

Comment

Made in Japan and twice the price. Not that that's a bad thing. They are really nice rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                                Made in Japan and twice the price. Not that that's a bad thing. They are really nice rifles.
                                And don't forget , better wood and finished Twice As Nice :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X