Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Henry Vs. Marlin 45-70

Alright guys,

I've read every thread on here between these two guns. Would like to get a 2019 update between the two. What do y'all think? Seems like Marlin has worked out some of their issues since the Remington buyout, but the Henry's all seem solid. Seems about 100 dollar difference between the two.

Are you wanting to buy a brand new one or a used one?

Comment

If brand new, Henry alllll the way

Comment

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
        Are you wanting to buy a brand new one or a used one?
        I would be open to a used one.

Comment

I have an "all-weather" version of the Henry. As a guy who leans toward the traditional I was a bit hesitant because of the tube feed on the Henry vs the side gate on the Marlin. However it took no time at all to get used to it and it is nice to be able to unload without levering-out all the rounds. It is a very solidly made rifle - fit/finish is excellent.

Comment

Just my $.02 but I feel the 45-70 is a classic old round and it deserves a classic rifle.

The Henry is a modern abomination of a lever gun in my opinion. Please look at a Winchester 1886, Browning or Uberti clone as options. The 1895 Marlin over a Henry any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
              Just my $.02 but I feel the 45-70 is a classic old round and it deserves a classic rifle.

The Henry is a modern abomination of a lever gun in my opinion. Please look at a Winchester 1886, Browning or Uberti clone as options. The 1895 Marlin over a Henry any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
              Lol I like the design of the Marlin 1895 way better for sure. The quality and accuracy is my concern.

Comment

Find a like new JM 1895 and call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                  Lol I like the design of the Marlin 1895 way better for sure. The quality and accuracy is my concern.

The current Marlins seem to be fine. The Henry may be smoother, but the 1895 is a sturdier action. Tube fed is fine, but loading gate is better. Makes modifications and suppressing easier if you ever decide to.

Comment

I have several 1895 Marlins of different configurations. The newest one is a 1895 GBL, and it is a Remington manufactured gun. There have been zero issues with it, and it is the second most accurate lever gun I have ever owned, and I have owned/traded quite a few over the years. The Henry gets good reviews, also, but I wouldn't be afraid of a new Marlin.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. That Marlin is 599 at Academy. That's looking pretty good right now.

Comment

I’d probably go with the marlin, especially if you can find a good used JM gun.

The lines of the Henry just look odd to me, and I’ve never been a fan of the tube load. Like, is this a big bore, or a .22??

Comment

Personally, I haven’t been able to get on board with the new Marlins or the Henry. I’m sticking with the old JM stuff.

Comment

I don’t want to get in anybody’s business, but there are a couple here that don’t meet the OP’s wishes....

Comment

I have the Henry octagon barrel. Solid tack driver

Comment

Working...
                              X