Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck with Long Beam.

Comment

I took my nephew, Lil David to a stand yesterday evening. He whacked a mature old cull. Pics and story when he wakes up.

Comment

Another successful hunt. Congratulations to both of you. Happy New Year!

Comment

He we go. Yesterday evening the wind was wrong for us to hunt longbeam. I mentioned to my nephew Lil David that thee might be a bachelor group coming to a corn pile on the edge of another of my sanctuaries. I had two piles working down there but it got so darn wet, I was having to carry corn half a mile so I dropped one of them that had the bachelor group regular. had a good setup with a tent blind in bow range but an old box stand over 200yds back. I knew the wind was perfect for us to get in that stand totally unnoticed and watch the edge of the sanctuary. He was all over it as he had killed three does with a crossbow this year but had not shot a buck.

About 515, we hadnt seen a deer. I told David that everything was perfect and there would be does in the corn if the bucks were not close. I no more than said that when a buck jumped the narrow creek just inside the edge and landed in full view. Before i could get the binos up, two more jumped in. A quick look revealed a 3 year old typical ten with split brows and a kicker off the base. I knew that deer well and he is going to be a superstar some day! Next was a 4 year old typical 8 with a double brow. Another high hopes deer that I have passed . Third was an old 15 inch wide 7pt. Not sure how old he is but between 5 and 8 for sure. He is big as a dang donkey and bossing the other deer around. I told David ,"Thats the one!".

All three headed to the corn and he fed with his butt to us probably 15 minutes. That was fine with me because LilDavid was shaking pretty bad at first. We got him hooked up good at with a 280 shooting 140gr spbts at226yds. The old deer gradually quartered away and i got off the binos to tell him to get ready when the gun went off. The buck dashed straight away into the bad mess while the other two ran toward us and stopped at 50yds looking back. Now I had to make a call as David was eyeing them through the scope. I called him off the second shot after he said the crosshairs were perfect when the gun fired.

We walked down and immediately saw lungs blown past where the deer was standing. He went 40yds with the bullet entering center ribs an exit behind the off shoulder. I like to have never got that sucker loaded! Great deer to kill. He should have known better than to grow those horns!
          Attached Files

Comment

^^^That is awesome right there. Congrats to you and your nephew!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              He we go. Yesterday evening the wind was wrong for us to hunt longbeam. I mentioned to my nephew Lil David that thee might be a bachelor group coming to a corn pile on the edge of another of my sanctuaries. I had two piles working down there but it got so darn wet, I was having to carry corn half a mile so I dropped one of them that had the bachelor group regular. had a good setup with a tent blind in bow range but an old box stand over 200yds back. I knew the wind was perfect for us to get in that stand totally unnoticed and watch the edge of the sanctuary. He was all over it as he had killed three does with a crossbow this year but had not shot a buck.

About 515, we hadnt seen a deer. I told David that everything was perfect and there would be does in the corn if the bucks were not close. I no more than said that when a buck jumped the narrow creek just inside the edge and landed in full view. Before i could get the binos up, two more jumped in. A quick look revealed a 3 year old typical ten with split brows and a kicker off the base. I knew that deer well and he is going to be a superstar some day! Next was a 4 year old typical 8 with a double brow. Another high hopes deer that I have passed . Third was an old 15 inch wide 7pt. Not sure how old he is but between 5 and 8 for sure. He is big as a dang donkey and bossing the other deer around. I told David ,"Thats the one!".

All three headed to the corn and he fed with his butt to us probably 15 minutes. That was fine with me because LilDavid was shaking pretty bad at first. We got him hooked up good at with a 280 shooting 140gr spbts at226yds. The old deer gradually quartered away and i got off the binos to tell him to get ready when the gun went off. The buck dashed straight away into the bad mess while the other two ran toward us and stopped at 50yds looking back. Now I had to make a call as David was eyeing them through the scope. I called him off the second shot after he said the crosshairs were perfect when the gun fired.

We walked down and immediately saw lungs blown past where the deer was standing. He went 40yds with the bullet entering center ribs an exit behind the off shoulder. I like to have never got that sucker loaded! Great deer to kill. He should have known better than to grow those horns!

Is that the one that was hanging out across the road from you're parents near that ground blind?

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                Is that the one that was hanging out across the road from you're parents near that ground blind?
                Absolutely. He moved to the sanctuary behind the house where I planned to put you and your daughter before Noahs flood came. It would have been interesting to have sat until dark and seen what else might have shown.

Comment

Little David is the man!!! I bet he's strutting around the Barclay residence with his chest bowed out like a fighting rooster! Well done young man!

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                    Little David is the man!!! I bet he's strutting around the Barclay residence with his chest bowed out like a fighting rooster! Well done young man!
                    You nailed it! We barely had time to get cleaned up and head to a Newyears party last night. He told that story a dozen times. He was the ONLY male there in his age class but there were at least ten little girls there form his age to a couple years younger. He was laying the deer story on thick and they giggled for hours with him as the center of attention. Not sure how far that deer was by the time he told the story a few times.

Comment

Absolutely. He moved to the sanctuary behind the house where I planned to put you and your daughter before Noahs flood came. It would have been interesting to have sat until dark and seen what else might have shown.

He was a big Ol bodied sucker!

Comment

Congrats to your nephew

Comment

That's an old swamp donkey right there!!!! Congrats to lil David you da man.

Comment

You nailed it! We barely had time to get cleaned up and head to a Newyears party last night. He told that story a dozen times. He was the ONLY male there in his age class but there were at least ten little girls there form his age to a couple years younger. He was laying the deer story on thick and they giggled for hours with him as the center of attention. Not sure how far that deer was by the time he told the story a few times.

Good Stuff!

Congrats to him

Comment

Awesome story, congrats to the young hunter and his guide!!

Comment

Congrats to David and the guide. Great stuff right there!

Comment

Working...
                                X