Taking LDPs at night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking LDPs at night

Any tips or resources I can read? I know nothing about flash photography and really only care to know enough to take good LDPs at night.

In for the pro tips! I've been playing around with an on camera speed light for the past month or so, have the equipment to set it up on a stand but haven't messed around with it much yet.

Seems like the basic process is expose for as much ambient light as you want (ie sunset on the horizon) and then adjust flash power as required for proper subject exposure. The hardest part to me seems to be the process of setting up the flash umbrella/animal/hunter to provide quality light on both subjects without any weird shadows.
    Last edited by agtex42; 10-16-2017, 03:13 PM.

Comment

I always use a flash but one can likely get decent results with todays LED flashlights if there is no flash option.

Comment

I have a very cheap LED light (it's allows you to dim the brightness up or down as needed) and I literally just had someone hold it in various positions until I liked the result. Here's a recent pic using it and also a link to it on Amazon.

I'm no pro by any means, but for our purposes, it works pretty well.

Attached Files

Comment

You talking about something like this?

This was a 30 sec exposure with a flash fired right before the shutter closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Robby Brown; 10-17-2017, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robby Brown View Post

wow! awesome photo

Comment

This is one of my favorite pictures. Besides a kiddos first buck. I love the moon in the back ground. We just used the light bar on the mule for pictures and gutting!
              Attached Files

Comment

Well that is way more artsy than I was thinking but you sure got me wanting to try it. How do you determine how long to leave the shutter open and when to set off the flash?

Comment

Taking LDPs at night

My hunting buddies use headlights and as much light as we can in the background. Take several pictures and keep the good ones. Nothing fantasy but it works. I've gotten where I really try to take the time to attempt to take a good picture. I've killed several good deer in the past that I wish I would have taken a few more pictures to have the memories.

Last edited by 8pointer; 10-18-2017, 09:31 PM.

Comment

I'm definitely not the one to render an opinion. I killed a 153 a few years ago and had to take my night pics with a game camera. lol

Comment

Need more info on this picture

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by horns07 View Post
                        Need more info on this picture

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                        30 second exposure for the starry sky. Quick flash for the pig.

Comment

Is there a setting that allows you to manually set off the flash or does the camera do it for you when you set a long exposure?

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                            Is there a setting that allows you to manually set off the flash or does the camera do it for you when you set a long exposure?
                            Yes, it's called rear curtain sync. However, I don't have a flash that will do that.

The only flash I had was a manual flash, so I just pressed the test button right before the shutter closed.

Comment

Yes, it's called rear curtain sync. However, I don't have a flash that will do that.

The only flash I had was a manual flash, so I just pressed the test button right before the shutter closed.

Got ya thanks for the info!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
                              X