How many protein feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
    Stedman and TAMUK also did a study on deer dominance and social interactions at feeders. Basically, if there is only one feeder available the dominant deer will eat and the non dominant deer will eat little or none. When the dominant deer are full, they will leave and the group will follow.

When this study was published I already had 2 feeders per location because I noticed this pattern on trailcam. To feed the whole bachelor group of bucks there should be more than one feeder.

Adding a cottonseed feeder will increase the options and variety for the deer and helps to spread out the visiting group of deer.
    We see this as well. Our strategy is to add more tubes to the existing locations. We have 14 locations, 1 corn feeder, 1 protein feeder, 1 cottonseed basket each. 1 location/246 acres.

Comment

I manage a 2500 acre high fenced ranch in South Texas. We run 15 protein stations with cottonseed and then another 6 spread out in our higher density areas. They all get drained at pretty much the same rate.

Comment

Does anyone know where I can purchase cottonseed? I would like to try feeding some next to my protein feeders to see if it will reduce enough pressure on the feeders that I can avoid placing out an extra feeder.

Comment

One protein feeder every acre

Comment

On 1000 acres HF, we have 4 large protein feeders spread out evenly.
            If $$$ was no object, I would have one full protein feeder per 20 animals.

Comment

I have 3 on 110 acres lol

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                Stedman and TAMUK also did a study on deer dominance and social interactions at feeders. Basically, if there is only one feeder available the dominant deer will eat and the non dominant deer will eat little or none. When the dominant deer are full, they will leave and the group will follow.

When this study was published I already had 2 feeders per location because I noticed this pattern on trailcam. To feed the whole bachelor group of bucks there should be more than one feeder.

Adding a cottonseed feeder will increase the options and variety for the deer and helps to spread out the visiting group of deer.
                I agree on the cottonseed. We have over 25 protein stations plus another 40-50 cottonseed stations - some in the protein pens and some out in the pasture. They hit the cottonseed as hard as the protein. I also like having the cottonseed available to fawns and yearlings since they cannot get to the protein due to pens.

We are going to experiment with a few of the trophy rock mineral blocks to see how they hit that - friend of mine bought 2 tons of them and his deer are killing it

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
                  One protein feeder every acre
                  ha ha ha. Hate to see that feed bill!

Comment

We have 2 protein and 2 cottonseed on 100 acres. Protein holds 750 lbs each and the deer will go through that every 3-4 weeks. We have a lot of deer though.

Comment

I have 7 on 747 acres, hoping to put in 7 to 10 cotton seed feeders soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X