No announcement yet.

Survey....would you use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

with over 50 bow kills all but 3 of my arrows passed through,only one of those animals went over 30 yards,, i think i am going to just keep doing what i am,,

Comment

I zip tie my phone to my arrows before the shot and then do Find My IPhone to track my deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would be depending on price

Rick

Comment

Interesting, we have a lot of studs that have never lost a deer or failed to have a pass through.

When I first started bowhunting, every deer I killed went perfect. I had no idea why people lost deer. Then I had a streak where I lost a couple of does and a buck.

Started tinkering with how I was doing things and trying to be a better more ethical Hunter. Now I went from a 380 grain arrow to a 560 grain arrow this year.

We will see but I believe will make a huge difference. Yet, I think it would be nice if the industry offered an affordable solution to increase recovery on the mistakes or mistakes made by beginning bowhunter.

For hunting to expand and live, we need to get people into hunting. Something like this may be able to keep or get people in the sport.

It may help get support from those against bowhunting

But I plan on doing my best to be like a lot of you and never make a bad shot and have a 100% recovery

Comment

Don’t think there would be much of a market for it. Best tracking aid is a good dog.

Comment

Something you need to consider: GPS accuracy is affected by trees. If you hunt woods, it probably won’t help much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Slocum View Post
                Will the gps work inside an animal? A lot of the Bluetooth devices won’t work under water or inside a wet animal cavity. Will it work without phone service?

Jason Slocum
                That would be the end goal, otherwise not doing it. But it cost to play the game to attempt it. I dont want to invest the time and money if people don't want the product

I can spend my money and time on hunting adventures or something else.

I would want the cost per unit to be as close to 30 to 50 dollars a unit. I think I can do it from research but I would need to sell VOLUME to make a profit and recoup investment

Plus marketing cost needed...

I mean from the responses on here. It isn't needed...but I think most responses are from older gentlemen who have been at this awhile. Be curious to see responses based on age and years of bowhunting

Comment

Do you bow hunt?
                  Many if not most times after I shoot I can see my arrow on the ground with blood on it. Even non penetrating shots often don’t take the arrow with the animal to its final resting place if it dies.
                  What does your market research tell you that the increase in recovered animals will be with a gps that tells you where your arrow is?
                  No I would not use a device like this for any money— it’s not useful to me.

Comment

I use a gps tracking device to locate wounded animals

Click image for larger version

Name:	gps.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	24613303

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
                      Don’t think there would be much of a market for it. Best tracking aid is a good dog.

Eh, I love the experience of a good dog but better...I disagree. A dog takes considerable time and money to train and invest in. If hiring a tracker, you most likely will spend 200 plus, and you may still not recover.

Plus, what happens when your animal goes across property lines... maybe several property lines. I mean Texas as a whole is primarily made up of small land owners 100 acres or less.

If you are against bowhunting small properties then bowhunting will not survive as a sport.

Wouldnt it be convenient to see your deer on Joe Smith's property by looking at a satellite map? Then call Joebup and explain situation. Rather than ask 3 neighbors forvtrespassing rights to just track to Joe's property 5 hours later

By then maybe the deer meat is ruined, coyotes got it, etc

Now a dog is fun, rewarding, and great for no cell service

There are pros and cons to anything you do. Some states dont allow dogs, some states dont allow a GPS recovery device.

Public land hunting, may not want to take a dog out or be allowed to. A hunter may not have access to someone with a tracking dog

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                        Do you bow hunt?
                        Many if not most times after I shoot I can see my arrow on the ground with blood on it. Even non penetrating shots often don’t take the arrow with the animal to its final resting place if it dies.
                        What does your market research tell you that the increase in recovered animals will be with a gps that tells you where your arrow is?
                        No I would not use a device like this for any money— it’s not useful to me.

Yes I bowhunt....yes I have lost 3 deer in my life to a broadhead hitting an opposite rib or shoulder and recovering a bloody broken arrow snapped in half. The broadhead was still in deer.

2 of 3 deer I found later from buzzards on a neighbors property.

You watch tv and every dang hunt they have to wait til morning to recover from a bad hit or unsure of hit. Even guys like public land hunter or seekone make bad shots or lose deer. Heck on one episode on public land Hunter they spent 2 days and a tracking dog but didnt recover buck.

If you want hunting to grow and bowhunting then you are going to recruit people with limited hunting or no hunting experience. There will be a learning curve

I hate that they always show a wait over night. I always wonder how often they actually eat the deer that they killed and how often the meat is ruined. Especially in a climate like Texas
                        Last edited by Beargrasstx; 04-04-2020, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                          Eh, I love the experience of a good dog but better...I disagree. A dog takes considerable time and money to train and invest in. If hiring a tracker, you most likely will spend 200 plus, and you may still not recover.

Plus, what happens when your animal goes across property lines... maybe several property lines. I mean Texas as a whole is primarily made up of small land owners 100 acres or less.

If you are against bowhunting small properties then bowhunting will not survive as a sport.

Wouldnt it be convenient to see your deer on Joe Smith's property by looking at a satellite map? Then call Joebup and explain situation. Rather than ask 3 neighbors forvtrespassing rights to just track to Joe's property 5 hours later

By then maybe the deer meat is ruined, coyotes got it, etc

Now a dog is fun, rewarding, and great for no cell service

There are pros and cons to anything you do. Some states dont allow dogs, some states dont allow a GPS recovery device.

Public land hunting, may not want to take a dog out or be allowed to. A hunter may not have access to someone with a tracking dog
                          Well, sure sounds like you have your mind made up about it, so give it a go.

I’m 29, bow hunting for a few years, but probably wouldn’t use it. Brings too much technology to something that is supposed to be more primitive. Losing a deer absolutely sucks, but you can learn so much from a loss and how to avoid those mistakes in the future. It’s part of hunting.
                          Last edited by BigRed323; 04-04-2020, 09:22 AM.

Comment

I thought the technology was out a few years ago? Or did it not work out? Too expensive maybe? Not rugged enough? (maybe I had a dream that it was already out there)
                            Geaux for it as more folks are looking for ways to enhance their hunting experience. I am probably not in your target audience but the Back Country Hunters demographic could be.

Comment

That would be the end goal, otherwise not doing it. But it cost to play the game to attempt it. I dont want to invest the time and money if people don't want the product

I can spend my money and time on hunting adventures or something else.

I would want the cost per unit to be as close to 30 to 50 dollars a unit. I think I can do it from research but I would need to sell VOLUME to make a profit and recoup investment

Plus marketing cost needed...

I mean from the responses on here. It isn't needed...but I think most responses are from older gentlemen who have been at this awhile. Be curious to see responses based on age and years of bowhunting
                              Don’t take this wrong as it’s not intended to bash:

The “old timers” have this: knowledge of the sport. Bow hunting is a close range sport of knowledge of the animal hunted and SKILL to be successful. Thant’s it. Gimmicks may add to numbers recovered... but at a toll of more lost, due to original statement. Lack of skill and knowledge of animal. Some people have these skills some don’t. Some can learn them some can’t. We don’t need more hunters.... we need better hunters. Hunters who are taught... not looking to blame an arrows weight, broadhead, lack of blood trail to be successful.

Practice more than tinker,Get close, Only take shots that are ultra high percentage shots, track or learn to track... even without blood and success rates will roar. Without a bandaid and then you have a skill to pass down to future hunters

Not hating, it’s just were I see the “industry “ headed... and it won’t have a lasting result

Comment

Interesting, we have a lot of studs that have never lost a deer or failed to have a pass through.

When I first started bowhunting, every deer I killed went perfect. I had no idea why people lost deer. Then I had a streak where I lost a couple of does and a buck.

Started tinkering with how I was doing things and trying to be a better more ethical Hunter. Now I went from a 380 grain arrow to a 560 grain arrow this year.

We will see but I believe will make a huge difference. Yet, I think it would be nice if the industry offered an affordable solution to increase recovery on the mistakes or mistakes made by beginning bowhunter.

For hunting to expand and live, we need to get people into hunting. Something like this may be able to keep or get people in the sport.

It may help get support from those against bowhunting

But I plan on doing my best to be like a lot of you and never make a bad shot and have a 100% recovery

So this is twice you have posted an opinion thread on something you already had you mind made up on. It's the second time you've had folks not agree with you while giving valid explanations. It is also twice that you have gotten seemingly butthurt with those that didn't agree with you and started posting like the above quotes.. Maybe this internet opinion asking thing is not for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X