Never killed a big deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
    I agree with this, but would also add that "big" is relative and may not ever happen where you are, but mature definitely can, and that's where its at for me.
    Yes big is relative to location but mature is mature.

Comment

Never killed a buck, last year the only ones I had come in were young. I would have been happy with them but knew that it was best to let them go another year

Comment

East Texas hunting for 20+also and never anything big. But love every minute of it. One day I'll be in the right spot at the right time

Comment

I've bow hunted the last 15 years and have never killed what I would call a true mature trophy buck. Ive only killed 5 deer and the best one I've shot is the one in my avatar(was a decent 10 point before breaking a beam off).

Comment

I've deer hunted for a long time (25+years) and have not shot many bucks. I don't hunt where big bucks are common and I'm not going to shoot a buck unless it is old. I'm fine filling my doe tags - if I stay after it long enough maybe a random trophy will come strolling by.

Comment

First deer I killed was high 130's. Haven't killed one that big since. But now, I hunt for the meat.

I like Mr. Jerp above am perfectly happy killing does if that is what presents the opportunity.

Comment

You will get a ton of answers like, big deer bont just happen. It takes years of strict management practice which I completely agree with. But if you enjoy hunting I wouldn't worry about big deer. Just keep on keeping on, and eventually a mature deer will work it's way to you. What's important is that you and your dad have something you still can do together. Your days coming, who knows might be this year. Good luck.

Comment

Killing a big buck is no different than killing a old mature doe. Getting the deer killed isn't the hard part.

The hard part is finding and getting on a place that has the potential to have big deer, and passing young deer to allow the deer to get old enough to become mature.

Most guys don't want to hear it but killing big deer is a money game. If you don't have the money you won't do it consistently.

That said big is relative to your location. If you get a deer that gets you excited and get him killed that's a big deer to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My biggest buck to date is a 110" 8 point I killed with my bow last year. I'm also not in an area known for just a lot of big bucks. We have seen quite an improvement on our lease in the number of bucks since we got on 3 years ago, out of 5 members on 600 acres we've killed 4 bucks total in the three years we've been on the place. Take off 10 does a year. We're trying to get all members to agree to not shooting any bucks for the next two years to add another years "age class" to our buck herd. As of now the oldest deer we are seeing on camera are 4 year olds. It sucks going into the season knowing you will not be killing a buck this year but will do nothing but help in the long run. I guess I can still hope for a draw hunt....

Comment

I had been hunting for about 30 years before I killed my first mature buck. He had a nice rack and 11 points but no where near 100

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                        You will get a ton of answers like, big deer bont just happen. It takes years of strict management practice which I completely agree with. But if you enjoy hunting I wouldn't worry about big deer. Just keep on keeping on, and eventually a mature deer will work it's way to you. What's important is that you and your dad have something you still can do together. Your days coming, who knows might be this year. Good luck.

Or, depending on location, it requires years of essentially doing absolutely nothing and giving deer a refuge until one piques your interest.

Comment

You have to hunt where big deer live to shoot big deer that's the bottom line .. Sure you might get lucky and kill one on a place that has never produced a big deer but your playing the odds and the odds are usually always against the hunters.. I hunted on a high fence ranch for a couple of seasons the place had been high fenced for like 10 years he left all the deer on this place and he thought he was going to grow some native giants guess what I never saw a buck on that place in 3 years on camera are anything that scored over 130" and we are talking about 6 and 7 year old bucks you saw a lot of 115 to 125 that where mature deer that's just as big as they could get it's no different then a human your body gets maxed out on size naturally some people are just bigger then others it's in the genes!! Why you think Midwest bucks are always bigger then native Texas deer it's genetics and what is in the soils up there and what they have to eat naturally!! But the number one key is age of the deer you can't expect every 3 year old to score 150 in a natural environment even with supplemental feeding heck most 6 year olds don't get 150 in a lot of places!!

Comment

Can't kill 150 if you kill him at 100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Everywhere in the state will have different quality deer. It all depends on where you hunt. My thoughts are if you know the quality of the deer in your area and you see one that is "good/big" for that area and it gets you excited then it's a shooter. Remember hunting is about a lot more than shooting big deer! The biggest i have ever shoot was maybe a 130, but i just enjoy being the woods!

Comment

I hunt Grayson County. Rumor has it that big deer live here. Hunted here for the last 16 years with a grand total of 21 years with a bow! Killed my first deer this past fall at the H......he's on my wall and I smile everyday when thinking it took the "H" to get me a deer! Point is, like stated above, you have to hunt where big deer are.....and be lucky at the right time!

Comment

Working...
                                X