No announcement yet.

Shot placement with 22-250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a leg hit, probably not fatal but it will slow him down enough the coyotes might get him.

Comment

Originally posted by bigrack View Post
      Don't change calibers. It's a perfect caliber for kids and women and men too. If he is hit in the shoulder, he's laying there close. They don't bleed hardly at all but that's a killing machine, and easy on you.

[emoji115]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
        Don't feel great Sammy.
        I sit two pills hat night with my AR. Didn't find blood it then.

Just shot me a nice 8 @ 20 yds.
        He ran. Waiting to start tracking. I'm doubtful I'll find blood. 55 grain VMAX doesn't exit. Therefore no blood trail. It'll be a grid search.
        Kevin's got his dog with him, she's still young and green...

X2 [emoji28]

Comment

Shot placement with 22-250

22-250 is plenty of gun at 200 yards and you picked a good bullet.

For anyone to say that you HAVE to shoot them in an exact spot within an inch or two is hogwash. If you use a varmint bullet or any other similarly light constructed bullet at 22-250 velocities they you are using poor judgement and opening yourself up for failure.

My son and I have killed a bunch of deer and pigs with a 22-250. We typically use Barnes TSX bullets pushed at high velocity and 99% of our shots are DRT. And we shoot them straight through the shoulders.

Here a sample of the blood trails we usually get IF they run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Last edited by Mike D; 11-05-2017, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
            On a side note, the caldwell dead shot field pod is the bomb!

Aint it though! We have two

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
              1. Having your daughter shoot at a deer 200 yards away is too far for a small child who lacks experience. She may have been aiming at the shoulder and could have hit anywhere, North or South based on how you said the deer reacted. Like everything else we raise our kids with, start them off simple and small to give them confidence. A 200 yard yard shot, uphill is like teaching Algebra to a kid that can't add 2+2

2. I started 3 kids out on a .22-250 and almost every deer shot in the shoulder dropped dry. I always used Federal Trophy Bonded Bearclaws, Fusions are close comparison.
              This pretty much sums it up.

Comment

Looks like she got a little brisket too or he wouldn't bleed like that. Plenty there for a dog to recover this deer but he's gonna be alive. Good luck.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1007.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	24517981 Not a deer, but, in the skull at 75 yds

Comment

Any luck on the recovery of the buck?

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
                      Yea, i probably shouldnt have had her shoot. I got a little excited and made a bad judegement call.

Hey, it's ok Dad. We learn from experiences just like our kids. The key is sharing your learning experience with your kids and be open and honest with them that we as parents make bad decisions......sometimes. Now, get her back out there and get her a shot that you Both know she can make. Confidence is contagious!

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                        Hey, it's ok Dad. We learn from experiences just like our kids. The key is sharing your learning experience with your kids and be open and honest with them that we as parents make bad decisions......sometimes. Now, get her back out there and get her a shot that you Both know she can make. Confidence is contagious!

Thx.....just frustrated

Comment

Both my kids started with 22-250. Haven't shot anything out past 175 and have always shot tight in shoulder. Blood trails are sometimes thin but I really don't recall anything going too far. Have yet to loose a deer with it. It's a violent round for sure one of my favorites. I disagree with it being a neck shot only caliber seen too many people make clean kills with them. My experience guiding in south Texas over 10 years I can say I tracked plenty of deer shot with 7 mag or 30-06, not because caliber, because the shooter. Shot placement and knowing your calibers limitations are key in any recovery

Comment

There are all kinds of shots you can attempt/make that will kill a deer, but the heart/lungs area just behind the shoulder is the largest and easiest to hit. It's away from heavy bone and will kill 100% of the time.

My opinion: Save neck, head, and shoulder shots for experienced hunters and special situations.

Good luck finding the deer. A 22-250 is plenty for Texas game.

Comment

I’ve killed a lot of deer with my 22-250 55grain soft nose. Probably my favorite gun. Never had one run farther than 10 yards. Neck, neck meets shoulder, shoulder, behind shoulder.

Comment

My son has shot 2 does so far this year with his 22-250 using 64 gr Nosler Bonded Performance bullets. The 2 he shot were both in one morning hunt. I told him to shoot right behind the shoulder. He did just that, tucked it right behind the shoulder. Had a complete pass thru and totally obliterated both lungs and heart on both. But amazingly one went 100 yards the other 200 yards. Lucky they left a good blood trail. I am now telling him to shoot them right in the shoulders. There is no doubt in my mind a Bonded 64 gr bullet going 3300ft/sec. will have no problem blowing thru the shoulders at a reasonable distance. I limit him to 100 yards or less.

Comment

Working...
                                X