No announcement yet.

Shot placement with 22-250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Base of the neck for me since a vital shot often does not exit, therefore no blood trail, base of the neck shot is an immediate knock down, no need to track. Out 200 yds. a difficult shot for even the best hunter though.
    Good luck

Comment

Don't change calibers. It's a perfect caliber for kids and women and men too. If he is hit in the shoulder, he's laying there close. They don't bleed hardly at all but that's a killing machine, and easy on you.

Comment

I have killed a number of deer with a 22-250. I would never shoot it out past 150 yards, being as shot placement and speed of the round is critical. I usually only take doe's with it. 50 gr bullet on a big bodied buck scares me.

Comment

Base of the neck where the shoulder and neck meet would have been my choice. Never shot an deer there that didn't drop in it's tracks.

Comment

[QUOTE=In-Yo-Grill;12895003]Base of the neck where the shoulder and neck meet would have been my choice. Never shot an deer there that didn't drop in it's tracks.[/QUOTE A neck shot is great if you break it, but what if you miss your mark even a little? I see it to be a safer shot to shoot for the shoulder. Especially at 200 yards. Just my opinion though.

Comment

Thx for the replies. Found blood last night & a piece of bone.

I will update afterwhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

1. Having your daughter shoot at a deer 200 yards away is too far for a small child who lacks experience. She may have been aiming at the shoulder and could have hit anywhere, North or South based on how you said the deer reacted. Like everything else we raise our kids with, start them off simple and small to give them confidence. A 200 yard yard shot, uphill is like teaching Algebra to a kid that can't add 2+2

2. I started 3 kids out on a .22-250 and almost every deer shot in the shoulder dropped dry. I always used Federal Trophy Bonded Bearclaws, Fusions are close comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                  1. Having your daughter shoot at a deer 200 yards away is too far for a small child who lacks experience. She may have been aiming at the shoulder and could have hit anywhere, North or South based on how you said the deer reacted. Like everything else we raise our kids with, start them off simple and small to give them confidence. A 200 yard yard shot, uphill is like teaching Algebra to a kid that can't add 2+2

2. I started 3 kids out on a .22-250 and almost every deer shot in the shoulder dropped dry. I always used Federal Trophy Bonded Bearclaws, Fusions are close comparison.

Yea, i probably shouldnt have had her shoot. I got a little excited and made a bad judegement call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

With bone, you should consider calling for a dog. He is hit low. You are gonna just run him out of the country. Good luck.

Comment

If you found bone, most likely she broke his leg and you will need a good dog.

A 22-250 Is one of my all time favorite deer calibers. I've killed a train load of deer with it. Mostly using 55gr soft points. Behind the shoulder, in the shoulder, neck, just gotta hit where you aim. And I'm betting your daughter hit a little low.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                        If you found bone, most likely she broke his leg and you will need a good dog.

A 22-250 Is one of my all time favorite deer calibers. I've killed a train load of deer with it. Mostly using 55gr soft points. Behind the shoulder, in the shoulder, neck, just gotta hit where you aim. And I'm betting your daughter hit a little low.
                        ^^^ this

Comment

Good luck this morning.

Comment

This is one of the reason why I wanted a 22-250 with at least a 1:12 barrel twist....so I could use the 60 gr Nosler Partition. Partitions will exit even from a 22-250/223. 200 yards is a tough shot for a young shooter and I would have waited for a closer shot. Might have been an upper leg hit and if that is the case.....he'll survive and be around for a second chance!!

Comment

More than likely a leg hit. The deer will survive but will suffer. 200 yards uphill the bullet will drop about 4 to 5" if sighted in at 100 yards.

Comment

Don't feel great Sammy.
                                I sit two pills hat night with my AR. Didn't find blood it then.

Just shot me a nice 8 @ 20 yds.
                                He ran. Waiting to start tracking. I'm doubtful I'll find blood. 55 grain VMAX doesn't exit. Therefore no blood trail. It'll be a grid search.
                                Kevin's got his dog with him, she's still young and green...

Comment

Working...
                                X