Update: Lavon COE deer hunting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update: Lavon COE deer hunting.

Stopped by the office yesterday and talked to the head honcho. Told him I had heard that a plan was in works for deer hunting by the way of a drawing was being worked on. He just plain said it's not happening. He wants to keep it as a refuge. So basically the adjoining land owners get to benefit from it but us public land guy's don't. Oh well, it was fun hoping it would happen.

That's too bad. There are some big deer in there.

Comment

He told me the same thing about Duck hunting.

I went to him and told him all the designated "Duck Hunting" areas on Lavon are either dry or inaccessible by boat or on foot and asked him if it was possible to hunt an area (far from any homes or ramps) near by there that had water and ducks... he said "No, stick to the designated duck hunting areas because the rest are all considered as bird sanctuary" so basically, forget about hunting ducks on Lavon...

Comment

Man, what a bummer to hear. So, the use of the entire COE area is up to this one officer? I would think something like this would have some public input or a committee would be making these decisions?

I have no doubt I don't have all the information--if anybody can shed some light on how this works, that would be awesome.

Comment

I have no doubt its political, the private property owners around that lake are the ones who got TPWD to open an archery deer season, and I'm sure they would rather not allow there to be public hunting on the COE land bordering theirs. I know the private property owners around hagerman absolutely howled when they started doing the deer hunts there and there have been groups who have lobbied actively to get them stopped since. Its may be matter of who's voice is louder, there is no reason they can't do a few lottery deer hunts on lavon like they do at hagerman, that would not adversley affect the reasource to the point all the deer are going to be wiped out @ lavon.

Comment

We own hagerman border property. The lottery never bothers us. Without that lottery we'd have more poachers I bet.

Comment

It is what it is......and as with anything it takes time....took the longest for the county to get a deer season......I see draw hunts....priced at $130 a hunter or whatever the going rate maybe.....lol

Comment

Golden, contact him again and ask him who he works for, should be in downtown Fort Worth. Get your ducks (or deer) lined up and go talk with them. They all answer to someone higher. It's public land, pressure is our friend. If there is a huntable population, it should be huntable, if it's a refuge it should be classified as such.

I work in downtown cowtown, let me know if I can be of assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                  He told me the same thing about Duck hunting.

I went to him and told him all the designated "Duck Hunting" areas on Lavon are either dry or inaccessible by boat or on foot and asked him if it was possible to hunt an area (far from any homes or ramps) near by there that had water and ducks... he said "No, stick to the designated duck hunting areas because the rest are all considered as bird sanctuary" so basically, forget about hunting ducks on Lavon...
                  The water conservation board has ruined Lake Lavon. I live near the lake, and the duck hunting has sucked for the last 6-8 years. The areas zoned for duck hunting has ZERO water. Been that way for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                    Golden, contact him again and ask him who he works for, should be in downtown Fort Worth. Get your ducks (or deer) lined up and go talk with them. They all answer to someone higher. It's public land, pressure is our friend. If there is a huntable population, it should be huntable, if it's a refuge it should be classified as such.

I work in downtown cowtown, let me know if I can be of assistance.
                    This! It's our land. If there is a sustainable population of deer (which I'm not 100% sure there is) they should, and eventually probably will, allow a hunt.

And the lack of water for ducks isn't really the fault of the COE officers, it's just been super low. There's only two boat ramps open on the whole lake so it's not like they're just doing it to tick duck hunters off. The rest of the lake (the part you can't hunt on) is too close to civilization to hunt on in my opinion.

Comment

Oh, I'm sure it is the workings of the surrounding land owners. I'd be willing to bet the COE guy has land that borders it too.

Comment

Originally posted by aerangis View Post
                        The water conservation board has ruined Lake Lavon. I live near the lake, and the duck hunting has sucked for the last 6-8 years. The areas zoned for duck hunting has ZERO water. Been that way for years.
                        I dunno where youre hunting but theres plenty of water and ducks..

Comment

Originally posted by BassProJD View Post
                          I dunno where youre hunting but theres plenty of water and ducks..
                          LOL plenty of water? There's two boat ramps open on the whole lake, both of which are one the south end. How are you even getting to water (with cover) that holds ducks?

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJanow View Post
                            This! It's our land. If there is a sustainable population of deer (which I'm not 100% sure there is) they should, and eventually probably will, allow a hunt.

And the lack of water for ducks isn't really the fault of the COE officers, it's just been super low. There's only two boat ramps open on the whole lake so it's not like they're just doing it to tick duck hunters off. The rest of the lake (the part you can't hunt on) is too close to civilization to hunt on in my opinion.
                            I wouldn't suggest hunting an area if I knew it was too close to "civilization", houses, roads and etc...
                            I respect your opinion but that doesn't mean I think you're right... Have you seen some of the "designated duck hunting areas" on Lavon in person? one can easily pepper houses from some of them, not to mention the sound of close-up shotgun blasts at dawn hours... The areas I suggested to the COE are several hundred yards away from any houses or roads otherwise I wouldn't have bothered suggesting them...
                            Last edited by ATI; 08-28-2014, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                              I wouldn't suggest hunting an area if I knew it was too close to "civilization", houses, roads and etc...
                              I respect your opinion but that doesn't mean I think you're right... Have you seen some of the "designated duck hunting areas" on Lavon in person? one can easily pepper houses from some of them, not to mention the sound of close-up shotgun blasts at dawn hours... The areas I suggested to the COE are several hundred yards away from any houses or roads otherwise I wouldn't have bothered suggesting them...

Yeah I live 1/4 mile from the COE land that is huntable. I've seen it all up close and personal. And while there may be pockets of land big enough to hunt on the south end of the lake, the vast majority is more populated than the northern end which is why they don't allow hunting. Also the COE doesn't own nearly as much actual land on the south side of the lake, it's mostly (what should be at least) water.

I think we as hunters need to understand that hunting is far from the only use of lakes. We shouldn't expect all of it to be open to our needs only.

Comment

Working...
                              X