Gun Safe Flooded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FULL DRAW View Post
    I just got off the phone with a gunsmith and they told me to get them out of the safe, wash with fresh water, use an air compressor or hair drier to dry them and then spray with WD40 until we can break them down and do a thorough cleaning.
    Then clean them thoroughly and break them down all the way including the stocks off.
    Finally reassembling them with gun oil and wipe them down. They will charge between $100-$125 per long gun and $25-$50 per pistol. Gets expensive with talking about 70 or so firearms.

Good info. Keep in mind, if you have a covered claim under your homeowners, they should pay for the contents cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
      It's probably WD40 but in a different can.
      True. The WD in WD-40 stands for water displacement/displacing.

Comment

A friend of mine's house burned a few years ago.His house was saturated with f.d.water.His gun safe was flooded.
        The wood stocked,and synthetic pieces were taken by a restoration co.,along with a few laminate stocked rifles..The laminate stocks weren't back to normal.They swole up.The wood stocks,and plastics still looked new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Like many folks in the Houston area my uncle has lost all his belongings in the flooding from the hurricane. His question through me from y’all is since his gun safe is under 4 feet of water what can he do to clean up his riffles? He knows as soon as he pulls them out and expose them to air they will flash rust. Any gunsmiths out there who have any advice or anyone of y’all been through this? We’re talking about 80 rifles and pistols. It will be a huge job to get all these cleaned up and oiled.

The Gun Cleaners has three locations in Houston to serve you. They are, West Houston, Spring and Deer Park. We all look forward in assisting in any way possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you're using WD40, auto parts stores sell it in a gallon can which was about the price of a couple large spray bottles.

Comment

Gun Safe Flooded

I just got off the phone with a gunsmith and they told me to get them out of the safe, wash with fresh water, use an air compressor or hair drier to dry them and then spray with WD40 until we can break them down and do a thorough cleaning.

Then clean them thoroughly and break them down all the way including the stocks off.

Finally reassembling them with gun oil and wipe them down. They will charge between $100-$125 per long gun and $25-$50 per pistol. Gets expensive with talking about 70 or so firearms.

Full draw we at The Gun Cleaners can take care of you for half the cost. Buy a membership and you can get 36 Gun cleaned for $600 and the rest would be half off of non member pricing. And it does not matter if it is a long Gun or pistol, with membership. This is why we are here for moments like this.

Last edited by bjwhitfield; 09-03-2017, 03:51 PM.

Comment

What do you guys at The Gun Cleaners recommend be done before the guns are disassembled and cleaned?

Comment

Take them apart. Clean. Dry stocks. Put back together.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                    What do you guys at The Gun Cleaners recommend be done before the guns are disassembled and cleaned?

As soon as you take them out of the water you will get flash rusting. Take them apart use air compressor to dry them out. If you have bad rust put it in transmission fluid. That helps break down the rust. Then renee them off dry with compressor again. Then get them to one of our stores. We are more than glad to assist.

Comment

Working...
                    X