X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got one soaking right now.
    I will let y'all know how it turns out.

Comment

Try using a fish tank heater in your bucket and it will speed up the process.

Comment

What size / brand of fish heater are yall using... I'm not versed in aquariums...

I keep my 5 gallon bucket in the shed in the back yard if it makes any difference.
        Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
          What size / brand of fish heater are yall using... I'm not versed in aquariums...

I keep my 5 gallon bucket in the shed in the back yard if it makes any difference.
          Thanks.
          All of my heaters are 300 watt, but for a 5 gallon bucket you could use a 100-150 watt. As far as brand it really doesn't matter, buy the least expensive you can find. The best I've found is on Amazon for around $18, but I also have a Prime membership so I get free shipping.

Comment

Great thread!!! Very informative info from all.
            I have cooked off several and it seems like they all act different. Some come out perfect, with little clean up and others have turned in to real work.
            Last year, in October, I tried something a little different. I put the head in a doubled black leaf bag and hung it in the woods behind the house where critters couldn't get to it. I then poked some holes in the bag where the bugs could get in and boy did they do the work!!!
            I left it until late in December and went and checked out.......can you say SOUP!!!
            I lowered the bag of "deer head soup" almost to the ground, stepped back about 20yds and shot the bottom of the bag with a .22!! LOL!!
            I dont have to tell you how nasty the contents in the bottom of the bag were!! WHEW!!!
            I unwrapped the skull and was amazed at how clean the bugs got it. Sprayed off the skull and other than being stained it was very clean.

Sorry I took up so much of the OP's thread. Oh and I don't think I will try that version again!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
              All of my heaters are 300 watt, but for a 5 gallon bucket you could use a 100-150 watt. As far as brand it really doesn't matter, buy the least expensive you can find. The best I've found is on Amazon for around $18, but I also have a Prime membership so I get free shipping.
              Thanks... Headed to ebay now.

150 watt for 7.99 shipped...
              Last edited by Coach W; 11-22-2012, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_from_CP View Post
                Just take a tissue with a little of the wife's perfume and put a piece in both nostrils. It will get u through some pretty nasty smells...like a cooler you forget to empty.
                I had an old buddy that told me when he was in the Coast Guard and had to pull dead bodies out of saltwater, he used to carry a small jar of Mentholatum with him, and would smear a glob under his nose and in his nostils right before he had to do the deed. He said it worked pretty good. Saltwater makes a dead human bodyj decay very rapidly from what I understand. He said Mentholatum was the one thing you never left home without.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

It really shouldn't smell that ugly unless you let it start to decay- which I've done.

Comment

You should come to my house when there's a north wind. Kara tolerates as she likes the extra cash. It's rough when I'm working on them and everything is exposed.

Comment

looks good

Comment

I have the buck that I shot yesterday morning soaking in this! Can't wait to see how it turns out. It's out in the backyard shed. I know it's a little cool, but I'm in no hurry.

Comment

Just got my aquarium heater in my bucket... We will see if it helps.

Comment

I understand that would work great in the hotter weather but does it also do as well in the colder weather?

Comment

swab a little Vick's Vapor Rub in your nostrils when messing with this. A little tip I picked up from a crime scene investigator. He said it helps him with foul odors. My skull in the trash can is getting a little rank!

Comment

I use nice little $5 heaters from pet mountain. I have 8-10 of them for different size buckets that I need to heat. They do a really good job of keeping temps around 100.

Comment

Working...
                                X