Help with hog panels in rocky ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with hog panels in rocky ground

I am needing to put up hog panels around my feeders and the ground is very rocky. Typically I hit rock 6" to 8" down. I was wondering if anyone had a solution to getting "T" posts in the ground? I have a generator and could rent a hammer drill with a 1" concrete drill. Is that my best option?

Yes that is what we did and that method works well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

we used 1/2" rebar cut down to 4' tall.

I used a hammer drill, a concrete drill bit and a generator to drill into the rock.

The pens have been up 9 months and not one pig has gotten in.

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
        Yes that is what we did and that method works well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
          we used 1/2" rebar cut down to 4' tall.

I used a hammer drill, a concrete drill bit and a generator to drill into the rock.

The pens have been up 9 months and not one pig has gotten in.

Hadn't thought of rebar. I'll look into that as well. Thanks.

Comment

just overlap a foot and use wire to tie them together, it worked great for us in junction.. use rebar steaks to reinforce in spots you might can get it in the ground w hammer.

Once its all tied together it can not bend or move, no post needed

just make sure to use the real hog panel not the thin cattle stuff

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
              just overlap a foot and use wire to tie them together, it worked great for us in junction.. use rebar steaks to reinforce in spots you might can get it in the ground w hammer.

What was the approximate diameter of your finished pen?

Comment

It's a little more expensive, but wasn't there a guy that made free standing traps from panels framed with square tubing? Something like that may save you some sore muscles. If necessary, you could wire in some rebar or similar section of metal to stiffen up the joints a bit.

Comment

hammer drill into the rock and drive the post. It will never move.

Comment

We also ran 1/4" rebar horizontally on the inside of the pen.

The pigs havent been a problem.

The Aoudad are now the issue. They will run into the panels and bend them when they fight or leave in a hurry.

We used 9 panels per pen but I plan on making them bigger. will probably add 1-2 panels per pen.

Comment

Good call. It would necessarily hold one in, but it will probably keep them out.

Comment

I have used as few as 8 panels erected in a square. But for the last few years, we've used 12 panels erected in a circle. We overlap one section on each end and tie in 3 spots at each overlap. We put a post at each overlap and another post 1/2 way between overlaps. It makes for a big, stout pen.

Comment

Fill barrels with rocks in places where t posts won’t work. Wire the panels to the barrels.

Comment

We did something similar when we use to hunt rock springs. We would bend the bottom of the panels to 90 degrees about a foot up from the bottom. The we would make a large octagon type shape overlapping the corners. Then we put t-posts in where we could get them in the ground. Finally, we would roll large rocks or pile up rocks on the bottom part that was bent and laying flat on the ground.

May be easier to just rent a drill though

Comment

1/2' rebar and a 5/8" hilti drill, drive down with 2lb hammer......they'll be there till the end of the earth

Comment

Working...
                              X