AK or AR 15?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AK or AR 15?

I have a Saiga 12 gauge that I really like. That said I have never owned any other semi auto. The Ak platform on the Saiga is easy to use. I have shot a AR-15 a guy at work built and it was fun to shoot. Whats the Pros and Con of each? Main question, which is easier to stock pile ammo for? I need to add I am not looking for pinpoint accuracy, just a good gun that can take a beating and still work and be pretty accurate

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
    I have a Saiga 12 gauge that I really like. That said I have never owned any other semi auto. The Ak platform on the Saiga is easy to use. I have shot a AR-15 a guy at work built and it was fun to shoot. Whats the Pros and Con of each? Main question, which is easier to stock pile ammo for? I need to add I am not looking for pinpoint accuracy, just a good gun that can take a beating and still work and be pretty accurate
    You pretty much just described an all the upsides of the AK in what you're looking for. Plus they are cheaper and ammo is significantly cheaper. I have both. They are both great so can't really go wrong.

Comment

If you go with an AK...get an Arsenal.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
        If pinpoint accuracy is your goal you will eliminate 90% of the AK's out there. The AR is the more accurate playform.

Today's ammo market is a buyers market. If stock piling ammo is your goal brass .223 amm can be had for $0.30/ round and steel case can be had for around $0.20 a round. You can even buy the 77 gr razor core ammo in bulk for $0.50 a round which will be super accurat in a 1/7 or 1/8 twist barrel with excellent terminal ballistics.

Another thing to consider replacement parts. In SHTF situation AR's and AR parts are everywhere. If the military is deployed they are everywhere and AK not so much.

My vote is AR

Comment

Originally posted by bm22 View Post
          If pinpoint accuracy is your goal you will eliminate 90% of the AK's out there. The AR is the more accurate playform.

Today's ammo market is a buyers market. If stock piling ammo is your goal brass .223 amm can be had for $0.30/ round and steel case can be had for around $0.20 a round. You can even buy the 77 gr razor core ammo in bulk for $0.50 a round which will be super accurat in a 1/7 or 1/8 twist barrel with excellent terminal ballistics.

Another thing to consider replacement parts. In SHTF situation AR's and AR parts are everywhere. If the military is deployed they are everywhere and AK not so much.

My vote is AR
          Only thing I would also say is that if we go to war again, the chances of picking up an AK off a dead member of the enemy is likely.

Just buy both. Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by FireNguns View Post
            Only thing I would also say is that if we go to war again, the chances of picking up an AK off a dead member of the enemy is likely.

Just buy both. Problem solved.
            Yes but if you are seen carrying an enemy gun at 300 + yards away there is a good chance your going to get shot, best stick with the guns the good guys carry.

Comment

Ak 7.62 round is fun to shoot and has the power to blow through things but harder to stay on target rapid firing...I think it may be more fun than a 556.

The ar you may be more accurate at 100yds or more but I'm about the same with either iron sights at 50.
              Ar is easier to stay on target and more finesse and prettier

I'm in the get both camp...but for what your describing find you a saiga ak first

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Comment

AK or AR 15?

There's a lot of myths floating around both rifles. The AR is an all around better weapon, period. For funs and giggles, it's a toss up. Both are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Less likely to need AK spare parts that AR parts. AK doesn't care what it eats abd eats just fine on a budget.

Comment

FACTS:
                    commie trashcan guns are not "cheaper" than AR's anymore.
                    AK's are ergonomic nightmares when compared to the modularity and versatility of the AR platform.
                    The AK munitions market is typically very dependent upon cheap imported ammo (IE. if the importations were to slow the price would rise quickly)(Ex. see 5.45x39mm).
                    Then there is the backing and buying of imported weapons and munitions as opposed to domestically produced goods.
                    Generally speaking the AR is not less reliable than an AK just like an AK isn't less accurate than an AR. These are myths as both systems are both plenty reliable and accurate (and affordable to boot) to get the job done or they wouldn't be the two most popular military rifles in existence.

OPINIONS:
                    The AR15 is the most popular gun in America, so unless you're planning on going to the comblock countries in a SHTF scenario you'd be better served to obtain an AR over an AK if only getting one IMO.
                    The 5.56x45mm cartridge is the more versatile cartridge IMO with a wide array of different purpose munitions available to suit most any need that should arise with regards to dealing with two legged issues (Including availability and budget friendly options).
                    Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 09-15-2017, 10:05 AM.

Comment

I remember seeing where a AK and an M16 (gen 1) were run thru the worst conditions available and the stamped rattlin ugly commie gun never hesitated during mud test. M16 had multiple issues. But that being said i will always own AR's. Ak's not so much

Comment

You can build an AR-15 in 7.62 by 39 and have the best of both worlds

Comment

Originally posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
                          FACTS:
                          commie trashcan guns are not "cheaper" than AR's anymore.
                          AK's are ergonomic nightmares when compared to the modularity and versatility of the AR platform.
                          The AK munitions market is typically very dependent upon cheap imported ammo (IE. if the importations were to slow the price would rise quickly)(Ex. see 5.45x39mm).
                          Then there is the backing and buying of imported weapons and munitions as opposed to domestically produced goods.
                          Generally speaking the AR is not less reliable than an AK just like an AK isn't less accurate than an AR. These are myths as both systems are both plenty reliable and accurate (and affordable to boot) to get the job done or they wouldn't be the two most popular military rifles in existence.

OPINIONS:
                          The AR15 is the most popular gun in America, so unless you're planning on going to the comblock countries in a SHTF scenario you'd be better served to obtain an AR over an AK if only getting one IMO.
                          The 5.56x45mm cartridge is the more versatile cartridge IMO with a wide array of different purpose munitions available to suit most any need that should arise with regards to dealing with two legged issues (Including availability and budget friendly options).
                          That is a good point. All it takes is a signature and cost benefits of 7.62X39 will be negated.

That myth is unfortunately dug in most people's minds. If anything the AR has proven to be more reliable. At the very least it is more field serviceable if an issue does arise.
                          Last edited by Clay C; 09-15-2017, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by talleywack97 View Post
                            I remember seeing where a AK and an M16 (gen 1) were run thru the worst conditions available and the stamped rattlin ugly commie gun never hesitated during mud test. M16 had multiple issues. But that being said i will always own AR's. Ak's not so much
                            Recent test have shown just the opposite.

Comment

Working...
                            X