Honda Pioneer 500 experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
    Dont mean to doubt you but that is hard to believe. My p5 has plenty of low end power and there are alot of youtube vids of them going up steep grades.
    Steep grades at Sea Level are A LOT steeper at 8,000+ feet elevation

For Bill's situation, I'd want a UTV with a full size bed and some grunt. You're going to be cutting firewood, hauling elk/deer, etc..... Up there and you'll probably be kicking yourself for buying a small, limited use machine.....for your needs. Use your previously mentioned Moto and "Buy Once, Cry Once".

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
      Steep grades at Sea Level are A LOT steeper at 8,000+ feet elevation

For Bill's situation, I'd want a UTV with a full size bed and some grunt. You're going to be cutting firewood, hauling elk/deer, etc..... Up there and you'll probably be kicking yourself for buying a small, limited use machine.....for your needs. Use your previously mentioned Moto and "Buy Once, Cry Once".
      You need a machine less than 50” wide for trails. The can am commander is one thst I like.

Really for the mountains only one of those dual rear wheel atvs with the beds are about perfect

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
        It’s marginal.

Took a pioneer 500 to Colorado last year. There were a few grades on the trail it didn’t want to go up and one I had to get out and push. It’s lack of having a low range hurts it terribly for climbing grades. The same grades were driving up by a can am 600 pulling a trailer with zero issues. the year before a 90's model Yamaha 400 did it with the trailer no issue.

I like it and it’s fine for flat land stuff but if your taking it to the mountains it may not do everything needed of it. The 700 may be a better fit for mountain hunting, I don't know
        Is yours with automatic as well as manual, they change the gears in thoughs, older one had a granny gear

Comment

I found a 2017 500 in camo under $9k out the door in Montana. Our son should pick it up this coming weekend- and break it in for me before I go out in Sept for elk.

My first financial transaction towards retiring there.

I was told the 2016 and earlier with auto only would upshift at high rpms going up steep trails, the 2017 and later with auto or manual can stay in low gear. We’ll see. I need to think about bow cases, i wonder if my SKB can be attached in the front if I drill holes in the bottom to match metal brackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well congrats Bill! Those suckers have all kinds of ways to mount stuff to 'em. I had a wire basket made to fit the front of my 700 and now for my 1000. It sure is handy to have something up front.

Comment

My son picked up a 2017 for us yesterday. He graciously offered to put in the 100 hour break-in for us . I have pictures my 2 yo grandson won’t get out of the seat, and claimed it putting his toys on the rack like he does with his toy tractor with a cart behind it.

We’re talking about building a rack, etc. I have a rectangular SKB bow case never use it I think could be mounted on it with some holes in the case for brackets.

Comment

100 miles, or 20 hours.

Comment

We took our 2016 700-4 to Colorado last year to ride the Alpine loop over 12,000' passes. It had trouble getting enough oxygen. Was told to remove the air filter cover for a day. That fixed the problem. But, while we were trying to figure it out, we stopped at a local utv rental that had the Honda pioneers. He said that the dealer he buys from won't sell him the 700's for use in the mountains because of being geared too high. He said the 500's and the 1000's work just fine up there. Have fun with your 500.

Comment

12k feet is pretty high altitude and a lot less oxygen. Thanks. I work out in a county park with steep trails and 30# in my elk pack after work. I was sitting in the truck with the door open shopping amazon prime day sales for accessories. Bought a cover and a 2-bow soft case that straps on the overhead cage.

The ranger came in, I was absorbed on my phone ordering. When I told him why I was sitting there after sunset he said they have 2 500s for trail patrol and they’re workhorses. His BIL heads the Physics Dept at Montana State, and we talked about antelope hinting. In CA!

Comment

Congrats on the soon to be retirement!!

In for the live pioneer review!!

Comment

i had one of these before, they are a little rocket, i truly reccomend that motor to anyone

Comment

Where can I find/ buy this hardware or was this custom fabricated? I’m thinking going this way, just making it 6” higher and putting loops on the top rail for tie downs or bungee cords.

The Honda service manager said he’s seen lots of custom racks. He cautioned against extending it far rearwards without a support ( such as from the hitch) if I was planning to put the cooler in the far rear filled with meat- the rack will eventually rip out of the rear plastic.

Comment

Anybody use/like the Strongmade baskets? I called and they said I could mount it 6” rearward if I wanted the padded bow case or a narrow tool box (non-hunting season) behind the seats.

Comment

We have 2 we use at work. Haven’t had any problems in the 2 years we have had them. I like the transmission over the belt drives.

Comment

Bought it in Bozeman, my son registered it in Montana. I’ll transfer when we live there.

Fantastic to own, gets you up and down some gnarly trails. We drove 17 miles each way from pickup/ trailer to our camp elk hunting in Montana. No problems with 9k plus elevation.

Here’s what I did. The 2-bow case attached to the roll cage worked well. The zippers get hard to pull with road dirt, I think graphite or another dry lube will help in the future.

I bought the Strongmade front basket. It’s really convenient but I had a lot of night driving on steep, rutted atv trails. It did block visibility of rocks immediately in front so we’d strap gear towards the passenger side so I could look down.

Using straps we were able to carry all our gear to set up a camp elk hunting.

Last edited by Bill; 11-04-2018, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X