Granger WT Postcard Hunt 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by q-all View Post
    4 or 5 years ago I drew the granger crossbow hunt when it was one of the normal TPWD draw hunts. It was December and I ended up killing a really nice buck.

What I took home with me that trip was the worst case of poison oak I have ever seen. I had it all over my body. Including places u don't want it. I ended up having to go the ER by the time I got home because it was making me ill. And I am not even sure where I got it. I only hunted 2 days (shot my buck first sit) It was tough to tell where it was because all the leaves had already dropped. It must of been the vines in one of trees we hung a stand in.

Best of luck out there guys! I thoroughly enjoy following this thread each year!

Here's the granger buck I took.
    What section did you take this buck in?

Comment

Think I got game cam pics of that buck in november of that year in compartment G.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
        Needs to be tagged & moved to the public land section
        How exactly is this done ?

Comment

Originally posted by BlacktailSlayer View Post

A mod has to do it.

Comment

PM Michael or one of the mods and ask pretty please

Comment

What section did you take this buck in?

Section b. The middle one below dam. I could watch the cars driving by on the dam from the stand I shot him.

Comment

Got a weird call from the guy running the hunt. He called me today asking if the doe i shot yesterday was on the granger wma. I told him of course it was. Told him were i got it and asked if he would like me to show him the gut pile or what is left of it. I asked why he was inquiring because i called after i shot it to have someone meet me at checkin. He stated volunteer thought it was weird that when he arrived that i had it completely skinned. I was at the checkin for 30 to 45 minutes before anyone showed up. I texted to let him know noone was there and i would go ahead with weighin. After weighin i started skinning away. Not sure about anyone else but skinning a deer only takes about 15 to 20 minutes. Had a conversation with volunteer about were i was hunting. Just weird that he had some suspicion about it. Oh well we got it all worked out and we are good to go, but i hate there being any question that i did something wrong. Never do anything to ruin awesome opportunity to hunt granger. Oh well.

Comment

He wants us to take a picture of it dressed on the scale with hide on...take pic of deer and with weight visible then u can remove the jawbone...told us to email pics with deer and weight and I even zoomed on my first does head....then if they take too long you have proof...I would skin mine too if they take too long, u did nothing wrong.

Comment

One of the park ranger interns asked me why I shot such a small doe, I told her that I am not meat hunting and my objective is the buck tag, even though my doe was a fawn, she still can be bred in january, the girl just said wasn't there a bigger one around, I just laughed, also we called these young just lost their spots fawns suitcases here in Texas and they sure taste good in a crock pot...

Comment

Did you take any pics of it at the check station before you skinned it?
                      That's what he said in orientation.

I'm not sure why a skinned deer would suggest that it was shot somewhere else though.
                      That seems strange to me.

I wouldn't give it a second thought. Don't let it ruin the rest of your hunting.

There's a lot more problems out there that they should be worried about rather than somebody who can skin a deer in less than 45 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSNAVYCHIEF View Post
                        One of the park ranger interns asked me why I shot such a small doe, I told her that I am not meat hunting and my objective is the buck tag, even though my doe was a fawn, she still can be bred in january, the girl just said wasn't there a bigger one around, I just laughed, also we called these young just lost their spots fawns suitcases here in Texas and they sure taste good in a crock pot...
                        I would've told her, "because it gave me a shot".
                        A doe is a doe.

Now if it was a nubbin buck taken with archery gear, then that's a little different.
                        There's no reason to mistake a nubbin buck at less than 30yards, but that's a whole other discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by denowt View Post
                          Did you take any pics of it at the check station before you skinned it?
                          That's what he said in orientation.

I'm not sure why a skinned deer would suggest that it was shot somewhere else though.
                          That seems strange to me.

I wouldn't give it a second thought. Don't let it ruin the rest of your hunting.

There's a lot more problems out there that they should be worried about rather than somebody who can skin a deer in less than 45 minutes.
                          I thought pics were only if noone was going to meet us. He took awhile to respond to my first text, but eventually told me someone was on their way. I figured a volunteer seeing the deer would be proof enough. The full hide and head was there for them to see. I even left the entire head for testing.

Comment

I thought pics were only if noone was going to meet us. He took awhile to respond to my first text, but eventually told me someone was on their way. I figured a volunteer seeing the deer would be proof enough. The full hide and head was there for them to see. I even left the entire head for testing.

I think they want proof of weight with the head and skin still attached.

I still don't see why this would make him think it was shot somewhere else though.

I don't see how the picture, or even them seeing the deer, proves or disproves that it was shot on the WMA.

Either way, congrats on the doe.

Comment

I saw jackster the other day near downtown Austin. ....I yelled at him to get back to hunting Granger but he acted coy

Good to see the thread back....go get em

Comment

Lol...helarious.

Comment

Working...
                                X