Public Hunting Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a bow sling and it helps a lot.
    Thanks for the recommendation on the stands and sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

bow sling
      good XL game cart (makes carrying in stand easy also)
      backpack with room for additional gear and snacks
      depending on where, mountain bike-comes in handy in some areas on Grapevine and probably Hagerman (of course, there are no deer in either of those places)
      I rigged up a system where I could attach my game cart to the bike and pull it back as far as the trail would let me go.
      Don't forget a pen, some paper, and a zip lock. Many public areas require you to mark you stand with date and time it was set up.
      I saw an awesome bike set up for sale at Cinnamon Creek but it was pricey.

Comment

The main thing you need is a Movie Camera.
        Because if you stay in the public camp ares you are going to see some crazy s##t that your friends aren't going to believe. I have fallen out of my chair laughing at some of the stuff I've seen. Oh and a fire extingis r somebody body always catches their boots or pants on fire.

Comment

I've got several items in my pack, but I make sure I've got a compass and map of the area I'm hunting in my pack.

Also, I make sure I've got a lighter and working flashlight.

Comment

Don't forget the T.P.!!!

Comment

My list varies from when I pack in for the day or decide to stay in the backcountry. I always have my frame pack to haul out a kill. It beats a game cart any day and also holds my gear. Short list for a day pack in:
              Frame pack
              100 oz camelback
              1st aid
              Snacks
              Fire sources
              Bino w/ harness
              Rangefinder
              Bow/rifle
              Sidearm
              Kill kit (knife, surgical gloves, bags)
              Moleskin
              Paracord
              Caribiners
              TP
              Wipes
              Headlamp
              Flashlight
              Map
              Gps

I can keep it under 30 lbs so hauling out a kill can still be done. Overnights are obviously more complex with sleep systems and additional water depending on location of a water source. Hope this helps a little.

Comment

For 2 people get a 2 man ladder stand that has a ladder that breaks down in sections. Mount a set of bike tires on it and remove a couple ladder sections and you not only have a game cart but you can roll the stand in instead of carrying it.

Comment

I pretty much only hunt out of a lock on stand. I think for two people you're going to be best off with two lightweight lock ons and sharing rapid rails. Typically I will hang my stand on my first sit and leave it until Im done hunting that weekend or whatever. I can hang it almost as fast as a climber but I can put it on almost any tree without doing much trimming. You need to have cover around you so I HATE trimming all the limbs off my tree to use a climber.

For the ladder portion I highly recommend 3 rapid rails. With 3 sections you can get up to 25 feet of you are moderately athletic. They go up super fast and break down to a very managable size. Plus you can use one section to hang your camera and get it 12 feet off the ground where the chance of it getting stolen is very low.

All in you should be around 20 lbs for a single stand. Add 10 pounds for a second one if you share a ladder.

I don't see any way possible that a person could get a two person ladder into most of the places I hunt. That's coming from someone who has carried a one person ladder over a mile before I switched to lock ons. A ranger was even ready to give me a ticket because he was convinced I had to have ridden an atv in to haul the stand in. It was just my bad luck because the spot was fairly well know to be good and he WAS riding an atv in to hunt it.

Comment

Originally posted by cashcropper View Post
                    For 2 people get a 2 man ladder stand that has a ladder that breaks down in sections. Mount a set of bike tires on it and remove a couple ladder sections and you not only have a game cart but you can roll the stand in instead of carrying it.

Good idea. I saw a two man stand for $99 at BPS. Wondering if that cheap is good enough or bad reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
                      I pretty much only hunt out of a lock on stand. I think for two people you're going to be best off with two lightweight lock ons and sharing rapid rails. Typically I will hang my stand on my first sit and leave it until Im done hunting that weekend or whatever. I can hang it almost as fast as a climber but I can put it on almost any tree without doing much trimming. You need to have cover around you so I HATE trimming all the limbs off my tree to use a climber.

For the ladder portion I highly recommend 3 rapid rails. With 3 sections you can get up to 25 feet of you are moderately athletic. They go up super fast and break down to a very managable size. Plus you can use one section to hang your camera and get it 12 feet off the ground where the chance of it getting stolen is very low.

All in you should be around 20 lbs for a single stand. Add 10 pounds for a second one if you share a ladder.

I don't see any way possible that a person could get a two person ladder into most of the places I hunt. That's coming from someone who has carried a one person ladder over a mile before I switched to lock ons. A ranger was even ready to give me a ticket because he was convinced I had to have ridden an atv in to haul the stand in. It was just my bad luck because the spot was fairly well know to be good and he WAS riding an atv in to hunt it.

Thanks for the tips.

We scouted over a couple miles yesterday on trails looking for paths in. Its a workout and carrying a stand, sticks, or a ladder is going to be tuff.

Comment

I mean you are looking at 20lbs for rails and a lightweight stand. Shouldn't be too big of a deal. Strap it to your pack and go. Just remember that you will have to get a deer out of wherever you hunt too. That's the real chore. I recommend drinking a monster to get amped up before you get after it lol. . Good luck to you.

Comment

Harness and tree belt

I'm usually out by myself hanging stands, taking down stands, with the harness and belt I can usually do it in one or two trips up the tree and stay safe doing it

Comment

I've been hunting Texas Public around Grapevine Lake this October and I was thankful I had my GPS. I got turned around one moonless night. I've been trying to go in very light. My basic gear is as follows:

1. Camo pants with BIG cargo pockets (big help)
                            2. Climber
                            3. Foldable hand saw on string with clip so it's easily accessible.
                            4. Small pair of Browning hand/tree limb clippers with belt pouch. (Awesome to have to make shooting lanes and when you get caught in thorny vines)
                            5. Rubber boots
                            6. Snake stick for walking (ran into a snake the first night on the trail)
                            7. Canteen on my belt.
                            8. Head lamp (must have)
                            9. Small bow hanger
                            10. Long string for pulling your bow up the tree and to tie your climber together.
                            11. Grunt call on neck string
                            12. Wind indicator on neck string
                            13. Face net

Comment

Good lists so far. I'll add the following: a small flashlight (I use one of those squeeze activated types) and a whistle on a neck lanyard, and an extra orange vest. The reason for the flashlight and whistle will become apparent if you get hurt and/or lost, also, the flashlight is good for a quick check of your equipment - including bow, crossbow or shotgun -when/where legal. The extra orange vest - there are some folks out in the woods that aren't very experienced hunters. I would use the extra vest to put over my game cart - especially if I'm hauling an animal out on it just to help prevent any cases of "mistaken identity". I also pack an orange cap to wear on the way into, and out of the woods to also prevent "mistaken identity".

Good luck,

Dave

Comment

Climbing stand
                                GPS
                                Compass
                                Tree umbrella
                                2 flashlights
                                Rangefinder
                                Shooting stick/rest
                                Deer cart
                                Patience