Duck boat overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
    So many options, so little time. I know the feel-n.

Get the basics down, float worthy, and legal. You can do the little things as you go along till the season is over. Then focus on the major changes or things that will take more time after the season. But don't put it off till last second once the season is ove. Or you may miss a season. Teal is just a few weeks away now. No matter the color, it can always be covered with camo fabric.

Personally, with your choice of pattern, I'd use the light brown for background, olive, splotches/patches, and with the black like it is. That would sit great next to an old deadfall or brush in the water. Along with sand or mud. Or a combo of all.
    Yeah that's the goal for now, just get it working out on the water and the outside hull painted. Kinda sucks because I changed jobs and now my pay schedule is a little different and I won't make the real money until November. So I'll have to wait for a Jack plate and a few other things.

Comment

Rain stopped just enough to start using the etching primer. I want to paint the whole thing this weekend. Hopefully the rain will hold off at least for a little bit! I've still got lots of wiring to do. I got new controls and making it work with an older motor has required a bit if brain storming.
      Attached Files

Comment

Looking good.

Comment

Went to lowes yesterday and couldn't find any flat enamels...the lady at sherwan williams said kem 400 isn't tintable....I call bs but whatever. So I bought some acrylic exterior flat paint, after I camo it I'll put a flat enamel clear coat over it. Put down the first layer today on my lunch break. When I was looking at the forecast everything said it wouldn't rain until 4 so I figured now would be as good as any time to put down a coat. About 2 it started pouring....just my luck! The paint had a little bit over an hour to dry. So I ran home to make sure the paint didn't melt off the boat since its water base and it's still on there. Praise the lord, last thing I wanted to deal with was messed up paint. If the rain slows down I'll wet sand it tonight. It's going to the welder a tomorrow for a patch since I couldn't weld up the hair line crack. Then I should have it back Friday to give it a 2nd and final base color coat. Then I'll start the stenciling Saturday as long as weather permits. Paint came out a little brighter on than on the paper but I think it'll be ok after the stencils.
          Attached Files

Comment

Making progress....

Comment

Looks clean as is. Have you done anything to the inside? Here's to no more "unexpected delays" for ya.

Comment

Looks clean as is. Have you done anything to the inside? Here's to no more "unexpected delays" for ya.
                Thank you! So I've removed most of the carpet and carpet glue from the aluminum. I've got to get the carpet out from under the console and finish getting that glue off. Then I want to take the carpet off the wood and paint that too for now. But with the rain I figure I'll make that last since the blind in going to make will cover a lot of that up. It's also super tight under the console so it'll be hard to get that carpet out. When I take my boat to get welded on tomorrow I'll see if they have any aluminum I can use to make a top for my console to replace the rotted plastic. Then I can redo the wiring and switches and finish pulling out that carpet.

Comment

Starting to come together. Not asking for your spot but just wondering where around college station you will be using this?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                    Starting to come together. Not asking for your spot but just wondering where around college station you will be using this?
                    I use to do a lot of hunting on the Navasota. But I probably won't use it much this year here. I have two spots I could hunt on the Navasota with this boat but it's gotta be crazy flooded. I get checked almost everytime when I go out there now, just because too many people get out there and screw around and get the game wardens called on them. Then the warden shows up and thinks it's me. So I'll probably drive to Somerville, the Trinity, or the coast. We've kind of got a good revolving door going. If the Trinity is flooded we'll go to Somerville or Navasota. If Somerville is too high, go to the Trinity. If Navasota is too low go to Somerville or Trinity. Now we have a cabin that we can go to in chinqopin(spelling?) on the coast. We'll probably do that for teal season and get on some reds.

Comment

Sounds like you got it figured out. Not a lot of teal around here and yea the rivers are a pain. We hunt the navasota some but the wardens aren't the hard part, just getting around is because of the trees in the river and the tight squeezes. But it's a lot less populated around here.

Comment

Putty knife is a great way to remove old carpet and old glue.

Comment

So the tan color was on the right track but too bright in the sun. I went and bought a pint a shade darker, thinned and sprayed it. Thinned it a little too much and got a few runs but I'll just sand it and touch up. This shade of tan looks better for being a base coat. I start the camoing process tomorrow, kinda pumped about it.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                            Sounds like you got it figured out. Not a lot of teal around here and yea the rivers are a pain. We hunt the navasota some but the wardens aren't the hard part, just getting around is because of the trees in the river and the tight squeezes. But it's a lot less populated around here.
                            That river changes so much. The place we started hunting it's all timber and high banks. 20 miles down when it floods it floods lots of fields as far as the eye can see. Timber is all mallards and wood ducks. 20 miles down and up river they get a mix of everything. I actually saw groups of teal flying the river and landing in ponds close to the river.

Comment

Putty knife is a great way to remove old carpet and old glue.
                              Luckily, since the carpet is 20 years old it comes right off except for the places where they pop riveted stuff over it. The guy has been coming off pretty easily with a sanding flapper disc and wire brush.

Comment

Putting on the finishing touches
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X