What's a fair trade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's a fair trade?

I heard from the realtor we purchased our property from that my neighbor that borders my north fence is wanting access through our place to do some dozer work. He has a swamp that cuts his property in half and can't access the back portion with a dozer. The realtor said he wants to basically have access at my front gate and would drive the whole length of my place to access his, and may be using some big machinery. He passed his number along to me if I wanted to call my neighbor.

I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of allowing him to do this.

I did just plant a 1 acre spring plot with egyptian wheat screening 2 weeks ago and he wants to access through it.

I could use some dozer work to clear along my fences, a few spots of food plots, and my main access road has a deep rut in one spot that would need fixing. I'm not ready to pay to have someone do that at the moment though.

What would be a fair trade off for allowing access?

I wouldn't sign anything. Handshake only, that way if someone buys the property after him you can restrict it. If someone bought the property from his kids for example, and they had access, they could put a subdivision back there... I think you know what I"m saying.

Comment

If he just wants to drive his dozer in one day and a few weeks later after he is done drive it out, I'm not asking him for anything other than him being neighborly if one day I ever need him to be.

Comment

Does he do dozer work for a living, or is he just a guy that rented a dozer?

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
          If he just wants to drive his dozer in one day and a few weeks later after he is done drive it out, I'm not asking him for anything other than him being neighborly if one day I ever need him to be.
          I haven't contacted the neighbor yet, but the way the realtor made it sound was that he was going to do some dozer work and possibly bring out a logger as well. Made it sound like they would be driving back and forth through my place until they finished.

If he was just needing to drive through one day and then drive back out another day, I wouldn't see much of a problem with it and wouldn't be asking for anything in exchange.

Comment

I would let him do it, it's always best for neighbors to get alone. Maybe he can clean up a road or something on the way in and out

Comment

cut out the middle man and talk to your neighbor directly about what he wants / needs and evaluate from there.

Personally I would not go for a long term deal but if he just needs to get back there to do 1 job then I would be neighborly and let him.

Comment

I would be neighborly but I would also have everything in writing in minute detail,especially if he's bringing in third party contractors. If you agree, shake on it then three weeks later of them running loaded trucks being pulled in and out after the rainstorm tearing up your property who's gonna care when you complain? The 3rd party is going to say " you agreed to it", the neighbor is going to say "my bad, I didn't know". You aren't going toe happy and out a bunch of repair money.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                  cut out the middle man and talk to your neighbor directly about what he wants / needs and evaluate from there.

Personally I would not go for a long term deal but if he just needs to get back there to do 1 job then I would be neighborly and let him.
                  Yep. Ask him to list you on his insurance in case something happens on your property.

Comment

I'd have it in writing, that if anything on your property is damaged, i.e., roads or egyptian wheat, that it be put back to its original condition or compensated for its worth in dollars before the job is completed. Then I might work in a little bit of dozer work as my compensation. But not too much

Comment

I'm with Jasper and Preacher. Get it in writing and make sure you are insured especially if there is a third party. Even if you draw it up yourself, it will help if things get really sideways. Call your neighbor and have him out for a beer! Everyone loves to see a little of what is on the other side of the fence!

Comment

Realtor should've reached out and said hey your neighbor is trying to get in touch with you can I give him your number?

I'm with most about being neighborly with the guy but if he can't ask you himself for the favor I probably wouldn't be inclined to do it.

Comment

How is a realtor involved? your neighbor should just come to you, then when you get a feel for him, you can decide what the right thing to do is

Comment

I would get some particulars first before you decide anything.

Comment

Need pics of realtor.

Odd the neighbor chose to include the 3rd party realtor, unless it is a mutual friend or something (makes me think realtor made some promises on your behalf).

Comment

Working...
                              X