No announcement yet.

Trapping 2016 - 2017 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't think about that, all the research I have been doing said hunger doesn't matter. They are thieves and stealing another coyotes hidden food and putting it else where is natural. Yal doing more of the sent or pee post set?

Comment

I use mostly flat sets with urine and scat for the bait. I have tried dirt holes and they work but seems like attract a lot more skunks and coons.

Comment

Coyote Trapping – The Dirt Hole Set

I’ve had good luck with dirt hole sets in South Texas.

On this year’s coyote line, 98% of my catches came from dirt hole sets, or a variation of that set.

On the ground I was trapping, flat sets generated nowhere near the interest the baited & lured D.H sets did.

This resulted in very little foot traffic at the set, and a lot of drive-bys.

The coyotes told me they wanted bait and lure, so that’s what I gave them.

My dirt hole sets also produced a high percentage of first, second, and third night catches.

Two thirds of all the coyotes I trapped this year were caught within the first three nights of making the set.

The vast majority of those catches occurred within the first two nights.
        Last edited by TUCO; 03-20-2017, 04:27 PM.

Comment

I think the key is let the coyotes tell you what they want. Complete opposite of tuco the dirt holes here produced nothing. Exact opposite affect lol. It amazes me what a little different terrain makes in a coyote

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Never know what's going to work, that's why trapping coyotes is so interesting or frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by Btoutdoors View Post
              Never know what's going to work, that's why trapping coyotes is so interesting or frustrating.
              Yes sir. Never fails

Comment

I've been a rat mimick for many years, before I use dirt holes in an area I go find holes to copy, takes time but it improves catch rates. In one area of Kansas the only dirt hole that worked needed to look like a new prairie dog dig.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                  I've been a rat mimick for many years, before I use dirt holes in an area I go find holes to copy, takes time but it improves catch rates. In one area of Kansas the only dirt hole that worked needed to look like a new prairie dog dig.
                  Hey I tried to call you Saturday

Comment

Originally posted by Fergeris View Post

I think the key is let the coyotes tell you what they want.
                    Complete opposite of tuco the dirt holes here produced nothing. Exact opposite affect lol. It amazes me what a little different terrain makes in a coyote.

Originally posted by Btoutdoors View Post

Exactly!

That's what makes it so fun!

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
                      Exactly!

That's what makes it so fun!
                      Lol it gets in your blood once you catch your first your hooked

Comment

Lol it gets in your blood once you catch your first your hooked.
                        You Betcha!

Coyote Trapping is the Best Game in Town!

Comment

Well guys I've pretty much pulled all my traps. I've left my snares for now. But it's starting to get warm an I hate trapping in the summer. So far I've ended right now with 35 coyotes not bad for being part time

Comment

Hey I tried to call you Saturday

Well shoot, sorry I didn't hear the phone, was under the weather last week so the phone been on my nightstand, pretty much forgotten about.

Comment

Well guys I've pretty much pulled all my traps. I've left my snares for now. But it's starting to get warm an I hate trapping in the summer. So far I've ended right now with 35 coyotes not bad for being part time.
                              Good Stuff Eric!

32 Coyotes in 13 days here.

I'll have high hopes and more steel come next season.

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
                                Good Stuff Eric!

32 Coyotes in 13 days here.

I'll have high hopes and more steel come next season.
                                I'm already getting more gear for next year

Comment

Working...
                                X