Sky Blind (Weekend Project)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks great Rick!!!

Good luck with those hogs. Is turkey season still on up there?

When I hunted South Texas I placed tripod in a Mesquite and wrapped it with shrimp net. Once wrapped good I put moss from home all in the net. My stands were named by fellow hunters "Mossy Mesquite".

Comment

Looks good, and hope to see some pics this fall from it as well.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I have the tripod anchored to those big trees on all four sides, and also anchored straight down to the tree underneath it. I also have very long steel stakes driven into the ground through the footings of the legs.

The sides of the blind are pulled out, and tied to the tripod anchor ropes.

The top is tied up to a limb way up in the tree above it. Used a bow fishing arrow to get the line up & over.

The corners, and sides of the bottom of the blind are pulled down, and tied to the platform.

The bottom insides of the blind are tied down to the carpet in eight places (which is tied down to the platform). The carpet tie downs serve as a way to keep the 10" inner carpet lip held upright with the added benefit of extra tie downs for the blind.

Rick

Comment

In for the LDPs..

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
            In for the LDPs..

Hope to get some on some hogs maybe soon.

I'm gonna give it a couple of weeks to settle down before hunting it.
            That'll give me enough time to get my air conditioner for it finished up.

Rick

Comment

We laugh but they work.

Comment

Looks prime Rick I never thought I would like huntin out of a setup like that, but that's what my buddy had on his lease in Rotan where I got to go on my cull hunt back in December. That 6pt that i shot never knew I was there! And neither did the tons of other deer that I didn't shoot at, or the flock of 30+ turkeys. I still would rather be in a tree stand/or tripod, but, if I had to hunt in a "closed in" blind, this is definately the way to go! Oh, and I built the platforms he put his on. And yes, he put carpet on the expanded metal too. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

All you need now Rick, is a stove and coffee pot!

Comment

Looking at that pic facing the feeder makes me wish it were October.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

I wonder if deer & hogs like the smell of coffee?

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                        I wonder if deer & hogs like the smell of coffee?

Rick
                        Cover scent. Just leave old grounds out there all the time. They'll get use to it.

Comment

Awesome build, I'm going to have to borrow this. Thanks for posting!!

I just so happen to have 3 tripods and three blinds.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                            Awesome build, I'm going to have to borrow this. Thanks for posting!!

I just so happen to have 3 tripods and three blinds.
                            Thanks.

One suggestion:
                            Build the platform about 4" bigger than the footprint of the blind.
                            I built mine the same size as the blind footprint, and it would have made it much easier to mount the blind to it if it had been a bit bigger.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                              Thanks.

One suggestion:
                              Build the platform about 4" bigger than the footprint of the blind.
                              I built mine the same size as the blind footprint, and it would have made it much easier to mount the blind to it if it had been a bit bigger.

Rick
                              Will do, I will also need to raise my blinds since they are to short as is.

Comment

be careful; I did one like that once and if I put all my weight on one side of the floor it would get overbalanced and tip over, had to put 4x4s on the edges to the ground to keep it from happening.
                                it's a great looking blind.

Comment

Working...
                                X