No announcement yet.

Live Elk hunt trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other 2 hunters came back from the river bottom Don ranged a small group of cow 1 Big cow he said but never came closer then 75 yards

Comment

The other hunter never made it to thr stand , they ran into a herd and they had a 6x6 in that herd , and he was herding the cows already

Comment

There will be blood tonight !!!!!

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Dang this gets me fired up!!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1440872617664.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	24400446
                Elk chilli is what's for dinner

Comment

Cool pics. Hope you put one down tonight.

Comment

I've been try to lay down and take a nap but my mind won't rest , won't shut down , won't go into sleep mode , keep thinking about the elk , seeing them in the field , hearing the chirp calls AND the bugles in the distance. I keep thinking about this morning when I drew on the cow, the what ifs, the should haves, should have I done something different, should I taken the shot , should I have tried to call her in........I close my eyes and I see elk moving, walking like they walk....

Comment

Good luck this afternoon

Comment

What time are y'all getting up to your hunting area in the morning? I know it isn't fun, but spiking out one night well above them feeding or getting above them EARLY morning. Most folks don't like the dark and hike UP way too late to get above the elk and can never catch up or leave too early in the evenings before dark and the elk move back into the feeding areas. I just bivy or spike camp now because of this. Good luck, yall have found the elk, that is the hardest part!

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                          What time are y'all getting up to your hunting area in the morning? I know it isn't fun, but spiking out one night well above them feeding or getting above them EARLY morning. Most folks don't like the dark and hike UP way too late to get above the elk and can never catch up or leave too early in the evenings before dark and the elk move back into the feeding areas. I just bivy or spike camp now because of this. Good luck, yall have found the elk, that is the hardest part!
                          In the morning the thermals are blowing down keeping the wind in our face, it's what helps us go in after them. If we could even get on top of them to cut them off the wind ( thermals ) would blow right at them.

Comment

Headed to the stand this evening to the high country, we should be in the stand by the time the thermals change. Elk will probably come down the last 30 min of daylight

Comment

Originally posted by ArcoCazador View Post
                              In the morning the thermals are blowing down keeping the wind in our face, it's what helps us go in after them. If we could even get on top of them to cut them off the wind ( thermals ) would blow right at them.

You can use the thermals to your advantage amigo. Get the wind on your cheek and hunt the angles of where they are coming up and coming down. If you wait for perfect thermals you may not ever get a chance. Elk and the elk gods make sure that they have the wind in their noses no matter what. Also, with a full moon they will be down later in the afternoon/evening and up earlier in the morning. However, if you can get to where they bed and get on the same contour/elevation, during the mid day you can get in tight and do some blind cow calling. I have killed two smaller bulls doing that. Good luck in whatever way yall go about it.

Comment

Good luck this evening. Enjoying your thread

Comment

Working...
                                X