Thread: FOC increase
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #37
muddyfuzzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina County, Limpopo SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboBurnsy View Post
The only thing I don't agree with is that the reduction in velocity isn't necessarily constant. At heavier arrow weights my bow outperforms the calculators and underperforms projections with lighter arrows. The bow is more efficient with more resistance. Even so, with the same broadhead I know that a 580 grain arrow at about 260 fps is going to penetrate better against a tough target than a 480 grain arrow at about 290 fps (which is to say nothing about their relative adequacy or merits), yet the kinetic energy is virtually identical. Using momentum you can get a much better idea about the penetrative potential and make more accurate predictions about real-world performance than you can with KE...

But it's all nitpicky BS to a large extent. We should all just be shooting what we like to shoot, killing stuff and eating it.
there are things (like broadhead desgin) which have a much greater impact on terminal performance of an arrow regardless of FOC, momentum and/or KE. these are simply numbers based off calculations. most properly tuned bows are more efficient with a heavier payload, this we know. a great example of this is the manifestation of hand shock or added noise on the release in a bow using a lighter payload. the most important thing to remember here (and i like having these discussion btw) is that these numbers are simply reference points. while they may give us some insight into terminal perfromance they by no means are a be all end all. i will build arrows based on what my customers want first and foremost, all i can do is point them in what i believe to be the right direction. i get some crazy requests, but to each is own.
muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top