TRAPPING SEASON Thread 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
    It starts with a four foot Ketch-All pole Dale.

[ATTACH]886257[/ATTACH]

It’s plastic coated cable is self-locking, so when I pull the noose tight it stays locked until I release it.

I slip the noose on the cat and cinch it down, then lay the pole on the ground and stand on it while I compress the trap levers with my hands to release the jaws.

Then I pull the spring-loaded release and cut him loose; and pray he doesn’t run up my leg.

Seriously, all the cat wants to do is put as much distance between the two of us as possible.

To help persuade the cat to run the opposite direction, I usually put a small bush or clump of grass in between the cat and I before releasing him.

The whole process takes about twenty seconds.

The cast trap jaws are smooth and offset , so there’s no foot damage to the cat.
    Lol don't choke him to long they don't do good with out air hahah

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like fun!

Any of you guys ever catch a badger? Or do you know of anything specific to attract/lure them with. I want to shoot a nice badger so bad I can't stand it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am real basic compared to these guys. I will trap for about 2 months a year and end up with about 7 or 8 coyotes, 5-6 foxes, and a bobcat or two. I just go to cabelas or the old gander mountain and buy traps. I do nothing to them. I bought several anchors off of the internet and really like the pogo anchors now. I lost a trap with a rebar anchor. I dig a hole, tear off a piece of a black trash bag for a pan cover and cover it up. I put it off a trail about 2 feet and put some dog droppings behind it. I may throw a branch or two or a cactus to the sides to make them come straight in.

I tried a hole trap once and caught a rabbit trying to go into it.

I have not had a problem with deer. I watched a deer jump and not get caught once when he stepped in it. Mine are off of the trails, but a buck has been beating the trees around one of my traps recently.

There are a ton of videos on youtube to get started.

I just got back in town so I need to reset mine today or tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          Sounds like fun!

Any of you guys ever catch a badger? Or do you know of anything specific to attract/lure them with. I want to shoot a nice badger so bad I can't stand it.

I catch several every year if you can find sign set ypur trap like you would for a coyote am you will catch him they aren't very hard to catch

Comment

I don't trap, I just like reading about it.

I guess I need to find out what a badger track looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
              Your daughter is going to love that 22 Hornet.

Now she can join in on the coyote killin’ with Dad !
              She had a blast shooting it, Sure made Dad happy!

Comment

Thought y'all mite enjoy this lil read I know a couple of us that have felt the predator an sheep problems lol

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                  I am real basic compared to these guys. I will trap for about 2 months a year and end up with about 7 or 8 coyotes, 5-6 foxes, and a bobcat or two. I just go to cabelas or the old gander mountain and buy traps. I do nothing to them.

You don’t even degrease them and get the oil off?

Comment

Another female today

Comment

Fergeris,
                      Any words of wisdom for a beginner trapper?
                      I’m hoping to get my first soon

Comment

I have a question. When I flesh then board my raccoon skins I wipe off the skin daily to remove excess oil and grease that comes out. Even when I do this though the skins still come out pretty greasy relative to a fox or bobcat pelt. Is that normal or is there a technique I’m missing out on?

Comment

Originally posted by barnag View Post
                          Fergeris,
                          Any words of wisdom for a beginner trapper?
                          I’m hoping to get my first soon
                          What are you looking for coyotes?

All I can say is look for tracks scat anything set the wind. An blend those sets in the best you can. I always try to make it look like I was never there. Try to anyway

Comment

I need to get back on it in January!!!

Hear alot of them at night. Killed 10 on or around my place since Feb

Alot more fun to shoot at night with thermal and a call

Comment

Originally posted by ElCid07 View Post
                              I have a question. When I flesh then board my raccoon skins I wipe off the skin daily to remove excess oil and grease that comes out. Even when I do this though the skins still come out pretty greasy relative to a fox or bobcat pelt. Is that normal or is there a technique I’m missing out on?

Coons will always be greaser than fox, cats, or coyotes. That being said coons are way more work, they'll make you earn what little they bring. They have to be very well fleshed, then I wipe them with the paper towels for a couple of days, then on about day I give them a good rubdown with a handful or two of borax and usually leave a little excess around the ears and head. Then brush it all off before shipping. With all that seems like coons still feel greasy to me. It's one of the reasons the prices are low on coons is the extra steps needed in the tanning process.

Comment

Originally posted by Fergeris View Post
                                What are you looking for coyotes?

All I can say is look for tracks scat anything set the wind. An blend those sets in the best you can. I always try to make it look like I was never there. Try to anyway

Yes coyotes. How do I set the wind as it’s always changing correct?

Comment

Working...
                                X