Best V8 Engine Out There?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artos View Post
    Understand that I'm no wrench...it was explained to me that having 4cyl do the work of the other 4 & not having ignition / same combustion heat within those cylinders is what was causing some sort of the failure on the prison rings & was causing some other problems with gaskets leaking...I'm only speaking f what I heard on the 5.3'

The wife's 15 Tahoe has 50k on it & it's been fine. I'm sure if has the gas saver option.
    The plug still fires however the exhaust lifter doesn't open trapping the exhaust gas and then the intake doesn't open which allows the exhaust gas act as a spring to assist the piston movement. This is done with solenoid unlike old motors that used oil pressure. If there are issues with the motor i haven't heard of any, i have 100 k on my 6.2 which has the same system. I was just checking to see if i was missing something.

Comment

Last truck was a F-150 with the 5.4. Really good engine with no problems. Then I bought my Tundra with the 5.7. Love this thing. Tons of power, runs great. Between the two, no competition, Tundra wins every time.
      Last edited by whakm; 06-13-2018, 12:32 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
        The plug still fires however the exhaust lifter doesn't open trapping the exhaust gas and then the intake doesn't open which allows the exhaust gas act as a spring to assist the piston movement. This is done with solenoid unlike old motors that used oil pressure. If there are issues with the motor i haven't heard of any, i have 100 k on my 6.2 which has the same system. I was just checking to see if i was missing something.
        I honestly couldn't tell you other than what I have seen & really didn't pay much attn to on the camaro6 forum...there seems to be an agreement that AFM (active fuel management) systems in general can cause problems at around the 50k-60k range right when wnty falls off, but I personally don't have any personal experience. My mechanic has said he sees it as well, & I'll ask when I'm in next week for the oil change how he feels it ties together.

Like I said, our 2015 5.3 Tahoe at only 50k hasn't missed a beat & I do think it has AFM??

My old company 2011 6.0 Chevy went 335k before the trans went out & doubt it had it with the crap mileage...not sure if my new replacement 5.0 F150 has afm??

For sure the 2017 6.2 LT4 Camaro doesn't offer AFM.

I have to think some of these fuel saving systems can't be all that good for longevity...I despise the auto shut off at stops in the F150. I deactivate that deal as right after crank up. Stupid option to put on a truck.

Comment

Man, y'all got me looking at diesels today. lol

So Cummins, Powerstroke or Duramax? [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post

Again, pick what’s wrapped around the engine. They are all plenty capable.

When I rented a drive them all the Cummins had the best fuel mileage by far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Another thing I've noticed is that if you do look at a newer half ton, they've gone a different route with the gearing. Instead of say 3.73 or 4.10 with a 6 speed, now its an 8 or 10 speed and most of what you find on the lot will have 3.31, 3.42, etc. The extra gears are supposed to make up for it, but after driving a couple newer ones, there is a difference in feel. Lots of shifting and less oomph off the line IMO.

Comment

I've been impressed with 10 speed in the F150 so far...you should see it in GM's truck line across the spectrum soon. I think they launched it in the High Country.

Comment

I like my 5.3.

Had a 2002 z71 5.3 and it seemed to have more power then my recent trucks.

Also had a 2015 4x4 5.3 (not z71) and it consistently got 17.6mpg. Donated to Harvey.

Currently in a 2018 z71 5.3 and get 15.2mpg.

Stock size tires on all.

Its hard to judge MPG unless everyone includes tire size and transmission info. 4x2 vs 4x4 makes a big difference. Even z71 vs typical 4x4 has made more of a difference then I expected.

I will say, Im not sure I like the V8 to V4 switch. You can definitely feel it lag sometimes. Im sure it makes a difference in the gas mileage game though.

Comment

Your opening even more issues with epa regulated diesels. Key word is epa regulated...

Comment

I'm just kidding about a diesel. Would definitely go that route if I had the need for one.

Comment

Tundra 5.7 with tow pkg (4.30 gears) 2wd getting 15.5mpg lifetime. That's pretty dang good for a big V8 and low gears. It's a modern motor - aluminum block 32 valve overhead.

The 5.0 Ford is smaller but has a bit more new technology & gets almost as much power from much less size, which is why gas mileage is better.

I think Chevy & Dodge are still rocking the pushrod V8. Old tech, but easier to work on by yourself if you're so inclined. I'm not.

I think Ford has the best motor right now, but I'm driving my Toyota til it drops

Comment

So I looked today. My FILs Tundra has a 175K on it. Only this he has done powertrain wise is change air filters. It’s doesn’t lead a pampered life, and regularly pulls a tractor and small planter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nissan Cummins powered, kinda like a heavy half ton and 10-15 k. Cheaper than Chevy, dodge and ford.

Comment

Hemi, all day long.

Comment

I like my 6.2 ford well. We have made many trips to the coast pulling the RV.

Comment

Working...
                                X