JD Murphree Alligator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
    You don't need a huge boat, but if you don't have a smaller aluminum they will assign you to a compartment that's fairly open & deep. My 16' aluminum we took several years ago had issues last year, so I borrowed a buddies boat. It was a 14' aluminum with 25hp tiller and we had no issues fishing with 3 people and holding a 9' and nearly 11' gator.
    When we got drawn, a guy showed up with a pontoon boat/ party barge , we snickered at him , till the next day when his whole group docked 4 gators about 10ft each, I got a 7 1/2 in a Jon boat , my buddy a 4ft . So we asked him how?
    He said anywhere the pontoon could get had big gators

We arrowed our bigger gators the next year by scouting first then hanging a large strip of aluminum foil on a pole and letting it blow around, and when they came to check it out, bam
    That was the advice we got and it worked for all three of us

And the dude in the pontoon boat as back the next year and was successful again
    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 08-12-2017, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Hunted there 2 years ago was a blast. My wife shot a gator, but I struck out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
        How many TBHers got drawn? I guess we lucked out and got it on the second drawing. Just got the email notification. I drew it a few years ago also. We'll be there 9-14/15.
        We got drawn for the same dates. Can't wait!

Comment

I got drawn and this is the first time I applied. I got 19th and 20th. Does anyone know if they rotate where people hunt or will I be hunting the same areas that's been hunted all week?

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
            I got drawn and this is the first time I applied. I got 19th and 20th. Does anyone know if they rotate where people hunt or will I be hunting the same areas that's been hunted all week?
            The answer is it depends. They have a lot of areas to hunt, but sometimes certain areas may be inaccessible. Last year the majority of the area they normally hunt was taken over by hyacinth and only accessible via airboat and some mud motors. I promise the guys working there will try to put you in the areas that you have the best chance for success. They want you to be successful and they work hard to make it happen.

Comment

2 years ago everyone hunted the big hill area.

Comment

You should try at all costs to bring a small aluminum boat, something that you can pull over levees and get into the compartments. This opens up a bunch of new areas for hunters and likely a lot of places that haven't been hunted yet. A small boat shouldn't be an issue as all of the water you will run is protected from the wind. If you bring a large boat that you can't pull over levees you will only be allowed to hunt the bayou or the ditches on the outsides of the compartments. The bayou and outside ditches can be good places to hunt but depending on the number of people that have showed up with large boats throughout the season, those areas may have been hunted. The guys working there will try to put you in areas where there are gators and areas that haven't been hunted yet but sometimes the vegetation may cause issues. This year should be better with the vegetation but there is still a bunch of hyacinth on the banks. If you have any questions call the office at JD Murphree WMA

Comment

Struck out again on gators for the 6th year in a row....

Comment

Our group will be there 9/18-19. Sounds like we have secured a 14' jon boat, and I ordered some 12/0 hooks and twine from some place in LA so we should be good to go. Might have to give the aluminum foil trick above a try and see if we can't shoot something with archery gear.

We have 7 points, so we're definitely looking forward to it.

Where do most people stay out there? I booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express in Port Arthur, but would prefer something a bit more 'rustic'...

Comment

My wife and I stayed at the Mc elegante in Beaumont that have a good bar and plenty of parking with a boat.

Comment

Gator folks,

This weather sure is gonna mess things up. I was wondering if it would even still be on.

Everyone got their gear? What are y'all planning to use? I've been researching and I'm trying to do it without a hanging line but if I don't find one I'll definitely set one out and wait

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                          Gator folks,

This weather sure is gonna mess things up. I was wondering if it would even still be on.

Everyone got their gear? What are y'all planning to use? I've been researching and I'm trying to do it without a hanging line but if I don't find one I'll definitely set one out and wait
                          TP&W still held the hunt when tropical storm Alison was in full blow it did scatter the gators some , we where successful with rotten chicken on hanging line that year

Comment

Saw where looks like they are pushing the dates back on the gator hunts due to flooding...

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                              Saw where looks like they are pushing the dates back on the gator hunts due to flooding...
                              Where did you see this? Link? Haven't received anything on it yet and would need to get someone to cover work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                                Where did you see this? Link? Haven't received anything on it yet and would need to get someone to cover work for me.

They made a post on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
                                X