No announcement yet.

Rice bran v. Protein as attractant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=goldtip5575;13567368]Not to take anything away from the Fortress Feeder method, but you can use Rice Bran pellets and the deer do eat it as well as the Rice Bran meal. I currently have a "Hammer Unit" on a Boss Buck feeder feeding Rice Bran pellets, and the deer tear it up. The more slope and slicker the feeder material the better the flow. The boss buck set up works flawlessly with "The Hammer Unit" and Rice Bran pellets. I get Rice Bran Pellets from Del Rio Feed, or Hoffpauir Feed in Lampasas for $8.50 to $8.75 per 50lb bag. Some people will argue that the deer prefer Meal over Pellets, but I have watched deer in my area eating the meal I have in a bucket in my feed pen, and as soon as the Timer opens on the pellets they will leave the meal and walk over and start eating the pellets. I have also used a 55 Gallon drum with a steep funnel and it also works well with the Pellets and "Hammer Unit". Just another option if you want to feed a Rice Bran Pellet, instead of Meal, on a "timed and amount ]

If you have no other option Rice Bran pellets are more attractive than regular protein. But, I have done side by side test in open buckets deer prefer the meal or powder.

In all seriousness I have been working on this for years..there have been many failed attempts. Mine and others..but there is a reason why others failed or gave up. Its not as simple as you may think.

Rice Bran Meal is one helluva an attractant...best I have found, its as simple as that. Try it..pour some on the ground, put it in a bucket something just get some out there.

However if you want to feed the meal or powder and have the deer conditioned to eat it when you are there. There is only one

When I get a smaller version I will let everyone know.

Comment

Originally posted by Archery1st View Post
      Hi Brandon the feeder is $800.00
      Hell thats not that bad. From the sound of it I was thing $1200-$1400 range.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
        I agree! I wish I could find a rice bran feeder that wouldnt break the bank
        The Rice Bran Feeder is $800.00, when you say break the bank - I dont get it. Your going to spend that on a regular protein feeder if it holds any volume.

Rice Bran is an attractant. The key is to keep some out there. I did a test last year with an older model that did not flow as well as the new ones just to see how far I could stretch a single filling of a feeder.

I filled the feeder up Jan 1 and let it open and close twice a day. The trough was just lightly dusted but the deer could eat out of the hopper with it open.

That feeder ran dry in December. The deer still fed every day..they just didnt get much. If they werent early they still licked the trough.

12 months on one filling, the feed did not spoil as it was kept dry. The sun actually "baked" the powder in the feeder.

Before I was spending $50-$60 a week filling buckets with rice bran, just to try and get it to stretch weekend to weekend.

If not 500 lbs...what would you guys like to see.
        100 lbs, 200lbs 300lbs?

Comment

The Rice Bran Feeder is $800.00, when you say break the bank - I dont get it. Your going to spend that on a regular protein feeder if it holds any volume.

Rice Bran is an attractant. The key is to keep some out there. I did a test last year with an older model that did not flow as well as the new ones just to see how far I could stretch a single filling of a feeder.

I filled the feeder up Jan 1 and let it open and close twice a day. The trough was just lightly dusted but the deer could eat out of the hopper with it open.

That feeder ran dry in December. The deer still fed every day..they just didnt get much. If they werent early they still licked the trough.

12 months on one filling, the feed did not spoil as it was kept dry. The sun actually "baked" the powder in the feeder.

Before I was spending $50-$60 a week filling buckets with rice bran, just to try and get it to stretch weekend to weekend.

If not 500 lbs...what would you guys like to see.
          100 lbs, 200lbs 300lbs?
          WOW...12 months is impressive
          Capacity is still an issue for me because I’m 6.5 to 7 hours away from my lease. 300# capacity would be the minimum IMO.

Comment

I want the 500lb rice bran feeder. I just want it for $600

Comment

To the OP, Rice Bran as an attractant is far better than protein pellets. It's probably the single best attractant I've ever used.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                I want the 500lb rice bran feeder. I just want it for $600
                Simply not going to happen..at $800 I'm already taking a hit with the cost of steel going up over the last year.

Comment

Simply not going to happen..at $800 I'm already taking a hit with the cost of steel going up over the last year.
                  I understand. I'm sure it's worth it for your feeder.

Comment

Working...
                  X