Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring Food Plot....Getting it ready to plant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elgato View Post
    Dang. You are well ahead of us. Where is Wilson county?
    About 35 miles southeast of San Antone. We been real dry around here and finally got a few showers lately. A few weeks ago they was dewberries blooming everwhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      Rusty, he's S of San Antonio. Too wet to plow on most of my plots. I poured out 3" this morning at Mt. Enterprise and that was all from last night. It's 46* here now, and I probably won't even start spraying gly for another couple weeks.

I need to hit two clover plots with Cleth but both are too wet for a tractor. I could have sprayed with my Ranger last week but I thought I had other things I'd rather do
      Yes sir its cold here too. I was shooting my bow fer a while but my dang hands got too cold.

I noticed some nut grass sprouting in one of my plots yesterday. I aint real sure how to attack it yet. Thought about spot spraying it with Image, I need to talk with the ag co-op first.

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
        I’m glad I held off on planting. We had snow this morning and mid 20s for lows this weekend. Would have been for naught.
        No doubt...same reason I'm still waiting. Hoping end of April to get something in the ground

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
          Got peas sprouting up
          Lookin good!

Comment

Yes sir its cold here too. I was shooting my bow fer a while but my dang hands got too cold.

I noticed some nut grass sprouting in one of my plots yesterday. I aint real sure how to attack it yet. Thought about spot spraying it with Image, I need to talk with the ag co-op first.
            Nutsedge ? Basagran I think is what I used in one of my clover plots. Had to hit it twice but it died. I was trying to get everything I could out of the plot, but last fall I replanted with a different blend and just burned it all with gly. So far, no nutsedge and my clover is looking pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              Nutsedge ? Basagran I think is what I used in one of my clover plots. Had to hit it twice but it died. I was trying to get everything I could out of the plot, but last fall I replanted with a different blend and just burned it all with gly. So far, no nutsedge and my clover is looking pretty good.
              Yes we call it Nut grass, but its what hogs destroy the ground for around here. Johnson grass, wild onion and nutsedge is a hogs prime interest here. I have heard of Basagran before, but is a pre emergent? I killed off a lot of nut grass with gly, but I had to figure out to let the nut grass get mature then spray with gly.

Comment

Yes we call it Nut grass, but its what hogs destroy the ground for around here. Johnson grass, wild onion and nutsedge is a hogs prime interest here. I have heard of Basagran before, but is a pre emergent? I killed off a lot of nut grass with gly, but I had to figure out to let the nut grass get mature then spray with gly.
                It's not a preemergent as far as I know. I killed it when it was mature, but I only had a small area of it on one end of a lane of clover. Probably about 40'x40' of pretty thick nutsedge and a little scattered throughout. The really thick stuff was hard to kill and it took awhile, but it did die. Now whether it would have come back or not I don't know because the clover was about four years old and I decided to terminate it and replant with a clover blend fron Grandpa Ray's Outdoors. I can tell you that Basagran is expensive, but if you need it.......

I got mine from Keystone Pest Solutions. Clethodim would yellow it a little but it would bounce back. I didn't even know what it was until I described it on the Deer Builder forum on Bowsite and someone there told me what to use. I used a tank sprayer that goes in my Ranger, which is what I use for small spots. It has a boomless spray head as well as a wand. Works pretty well for plots in the woods too. Good luck getting rid of that crap Radar, it's tough and it just gets worse !

Comment

I plan on spraying my plots this week and maybe plant in next 7-14 days. Should I mow over the dead grass after I grain drill?

On my dove plot, I am going to try and disk the ground so its bare

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                    Plot experts, what do you think is best for a future plot and the soil:

1. spraying and killing my winter plot and grain drilling into it

or

2. disking under the winter plot under and grain drilling into that.
                    Option #1

Comment

I plan on spraying my plots this week and maybe plant in next 7-14 days. Should I mow over the dead grass after I grain drill?

On my dove plot, I am going to try and disk the ground so its bare
                      Is you fertilizing? Do you have fertilizer boxes on your drill?

Comment

Is you fertilizing? Do you have fertilizer boxes on your drill?
                        Yes I plan on just doing 6 bags of Triple 13 per acre.

I sprayed my 2 spots yesterday. They are about an acre each. Hopefully I get good kill. If I don't I will spray again and then grain drill.

My 2.5 acre dove plot I will disk it up to dirt and then drill it in.

I do not have fertilizer boxes on the drill I rent, but it does have small grain boxes

Comment

I need to find a better way to spray my 1-1.25 acre plots. I have a 40 gallon sprayer from TSC, but the hand nozzle is a PIA. I bought some cheap boomless nozzle sprayer that hooks up to my tailgate of my ranger, but its not very good.

Comment

Got IC Peas popping up really well. Will get a pic in two weeks.

Comment

Yes I plan on just doing 6 bags of Triple 13 per acre.

I sprayed my 2 spots yesterday. They are about an acre each. Hopefully I get good kill. If I don't I will spray again and then grain drill.

My 2.5 acre dove plot I will disk it up to dirt and then drill it in.

I do not have fertilizer boxes on the drill I rent, but it does have small grain boxes

I don’t have a no till drill and broadcast fertilizer after I spray gly. I was told many years ago to work the fertilizer in to the dirt before planting. This will create a better seed bed than leaving the fertilizer on top of the ground.

I can’t tell you one way or the other about drilling seed with the fertilizer above the ground or how long it takes for fertilizer to melt into the dirt to the seedlings. You might need to set the gangs straight on your disc and bust the top crust of dirt before you drill.

Comment

Ordered 1200 lbs of fertilizer to put out Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                                X