pier and beam foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pier and beam foundation

any one familiar with pier and beam foundations? looking to build approx 15x30 cabin in west texas on sandy loam soil. looking to use telephone poles as piers backfilled with sack crete. looking for suggestions on depth and spacing of piers. if you have a different preferred method i would also be willing to hear that, thanks for the input

If it were me, I'd put it on skids where it could be moved. Things change sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      If it were me, I'd put it on skids where it could be moved. Things change sometimes.
      What he said ^^^^. Use your sacrete for footers.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        understood, our situation is best suited for a perm structure.

Comment

12" deep floor truss, 2' o.c. have them designed to be top chord bearing.

Use 2-2x8 as beams with piers spaced at 6'oc.

2 layers of flooring...i usually go with cheap osb and then some kind of laminate (cheap) over that.

that is how I have done it in the past and with a little pre-planning had it roughed in in a day...I also used roof trusses, lathed for tin

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
            12" deep floor truss, 2' o.c. have them designed to be top chord bearing.
            i understand what you're saying except this part.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsix-eightX View Post
              i understand what you're saying except this part.
              a floor truss is just an engineered floor joist. I like them due to the webbing and the ability to run plumbing lines after the fact. they are 4x2 in dimension versus 2x4...makes layout easier.

Maybe go 19.2" o.c. and really not adding alot of cost.

Top chord bearing looks like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	KeyTruss4_09_Detail.png
Views:	1
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	24446096

edit...pay no attention to the dimensions in pic

Comment

I would go 16" on center for the joist. At 24" you may have soft spots.

Comment

4x6 beams 6' apart 2x6 joists 16" on center 3/4 plywood 16x16 concrete pads and 7x7x16 concrete blocks spaced 5'

Comment

I never thought about using engineered joist. I dont think they would hold up exposed to weather....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

pier depth, diameter and spacing needs to be engineered based on a soil report.

Comment

Working...
                      X