About this time, 10 years ago ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About this time, 10 years ago ...

I had just had a big bowl of pho, and was on my way home, and in about an hour my brain would explode.

You have those moments in your life, that you will always vividly remember, and this is one of mine.

I was laying on the couch, watching TV after a half day at the office. It was a Friday. I got up to go to the kitchen, and half way across the living room it felt like someone hit me in the head with a baseball bat. I fell to my knees in pain.

Thinking it was just a bad headache, I tried everything to get rid of it. By the time Tina got home, I was sitting in our garden tub full of cold water, with a cold wet towel over my head, puking. Even still, I thought I'd power through it, and told her that I'd just take a nap and I'd be OK. An hour or so later she convinced me to go to the ER.

The ER was empty. I puked again in the waiting room restroom. They quickly shuffled me back for a CT scan, and gave me some morphine shortly after. Next thing I know, my aunt and uncle were there and I was being loaded on a helicopter for a ride downtown.

I'd had a subarachnoid hemorrhage and the ER doctor told Tina that he didn't expect me to live.

I spent the next seven days in the neurotrauma ICU at Memorial Herman. I was fully conscious, but heavily drugged, and felt like I was one of the only "healthy" people in that unit. Several people came in, that didn't make it out, and some came in that never made a sound. I couldn't see them, but I could hear everything that was going on. The whole time, the doctors told my family that I'd likely be a vegetable, if I went home at all. On the eighth day, I proved them all wrong and they moved me to a private room where I finally got a shower and some decent sleep. On the tenth day, I went home.

The doctors couldn't tell me why it happened or if it would happen again, but he did say that it hadn't stopped bleeding on it's own, I'd have died in about another second or so.

Here's to 10 years, explosion free!

Wow, glad you made it, and glad your able to go on living a good life!

Comment

Kevin, I remember that like it was yesterday! And back then, I didn't even know you except on here!! I remember I had my wife stop in and visit with you, Tina and some other family members... We sort'a been buds ever since... Funny what brings people together and all...
      Sure glad you've been good to go to this point. Here's to another hunert years or so...

Comment

God had other plans for you brother.

Comment

Glad ya still here though fella!

Comment

WoW, what a story.Congrats on your fortune.

Comment

Wow.

Comment

Thats intense. Glad you pulled through. Scary stuff that goes on in our bodies sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Glad you made it out, i had similar issue with a fractured skull and hemorrhage on the brain but the thing i went a week like that before going doctor, my head should thobe anytime i laid down and felt like i was always drunk. Once they seem it on ct i was rushed to surgery and after 3 days icu and 1 day in normal room i was good to go.

Comment

Not many people can tell a story like that let alone live one! Happy that you made it through without any noticeable cognitive difficulties. So I would say that yes you powered through it!

Comment

No PHO for me !!!![emoji33][emoji502] Now tall got lil man....God is good!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                          No PHO for me !!!![emoji33][emoji502] Now tall got lil man....God is good!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Amen to that! I've never had it and don't know what it is but I'm not about to start!

Glad your able to tell your story!

Comment

Don’t know if I ever knew about that. Dang, sure glad your ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Glad you're still here, Kevin.

Comment

Working...
                              X