Keto Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keto Question

How much is too much protein? I'm eating bacon and eggs for breakfast, an almost bare salad for lunch, then either chicken or steak with a vegetable.

Is that too much protein for the day? I have heard that if you are on a very low carb diet and you eat too much protein, it starts to convert the protein into glucose. So...what is too much protein per day?

No exspert here... but they guy who wrote "keto clarity" said start at 100 grams of protien a day. And test ketone level, some ppl can do more, some have to cut to like 80 grams, every bodies body is different.

I liked his book worth reading. And absolutely protien it can kick you out of ketosis. Keto diet should be very low carb MODERATE protien high fat. Also dr fung who wrote obisety code talks about this some. Another good book

So there are 7 grams of protien in an ounce of steak

100 grams÷(7 grams/ 1 ounce)= 14oz(ish)

So you get about 14 ounces of beef... check other items to see how much protien per ounce.

14 ounces of beef is a solid steak or a BIG burger... but if you cut it into mutiple little meals is gets small in a hurry. This is another reason that intermitant fasting works REAALLLY well with keto.

My gut withought working the math and testing your blood, is your over on protien.

Fasting scares ppl off, but its really really not bad, especially if your doing like 24 hour(dinner to dinner) or like an 18 hour ( do all your eating in a 6 hour window)

I did a 4 day a few weeks ago, hardest day is day 2... then its not physical hunger thats hard its the conditioning your brain has from years of eating 3 times a day that is hard.

My suggestion is try a week of only eating a good healthy keto meal for dinner. measure your protien better and test for ketones if you can. Play with protien intake until you see results you want.

Also remember urine ketones test can stop being a good test after your FULLY ketone adapted cause your body holds on to them to use for energy instead of passing them. Blood is better test

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by catslayer; 05-30-2018, 08:21 AM.

Comment

What did your doctor say?

Comment

Originally posted by Hillbilly Rockstar View Post
        How much is too much protein? I'm eating bacon and eggs for breakfast, an almost bare salad for lunch, then either chicken or steak with a vegetable.

Is that too much protein for the day? I have heard that if you are on a very low carb diet and you eat too much protein, it starts to convert the protein into glucose. So...what is too much protein per day?
        The daily meal plan you outlined is about what I eat daily but I add protein to the lunch salad in the way of chicken, tuna or steak. I am no expert but it has worked well for me.

Comment

Use a Keto calculator to get an idea of your levels: https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/

Comment

also take into consideration your activity level. If you're pumping iron or working out hard your need for protein will go up.

Comment

Im actually really curious how many ppl eating keto actually hit keto levels... i think most dont, but the improvement on diet gets results so they go with it... only way to KNOW is to test and play with intake until you gert where you want to be. I think keto testing technology will see a HUGE jump is availability and accuracy in the next couple years

If you dont test yourself and play with food intakes youll never be sure... all the calculators are good starting points but just remember that is what they are, a place to start
              Last edited by catslayer; 05-30-2018, 08:32 AM.

Comment

I'm curious about this also. I've been on "keto" for about three weeks. I have all the keto symptoms and dropping weight really well but I don't test or count protein. All carbs are incidental to protein and veggies I eat. I know I'm usually low on fat but its working. So I'm not sure I care. One odd side affect for me is fasting is easy. I don't really get the "I'm starving" hunger I get on other diets. If I push off eating long enough I will feel a little sick and get a headache.

Comment

Originally posted by Hillbilly Rockstar View Post

It’s not how much protein- it’s what type of protein.

A simple thought I coach people on when they ask if eating enough / too much is: look at you’re gut. If it’s not flat, you’re eating too much and not exercising enough. Everything in proportions and exercise must be the bigger one of the two.

—————signature—————
                  ~Don’t overthink something simple~
                  ...:uptight people suck:...

Comment

Originally posted by kaizen View Post
                    I'm curious about this also. I've been on "keto" for about three weeks. I have all the keto symptoms and dropping weight really well but I don't test or count protein. All carbs are incidental to protein and veggies I eat. I know I'm usually low on fat but its working. So I'm not sure I care. One odd side affect for me is fasting is easy. I don't really get the "I'm starving" hunger I get on other diets. If I push off eating long enough I will feel a little sick and get a headache.
                    If your less than 20 grams carbs ill bet you are. But know way to KNOW... results speak for themselves.

Ability to confortably skip meals is a well know keto "side effect". USE IT, dont eat if you arnt hungry... it only helps the process, burning out glycogen and setting you up to burn fat sooner.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bps3040 View Post
                      Use a Keto calculator to get an idea of your levels: https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/
                      This^^^. Then use the CarbManager app to track daily progress. It becomes very simple.

Comment

Just throw in an avacado should up you good fats.

Comment

75% Fat 20% protein 5% carb is a good rule of thumb but I wouldn't exceed 1gr of protein per 1lb of body weight depending on your goals. What are your goals? There are a lot of uninformed responses to your question already so let the garbage fly and stick to what your already learning. Feel free to pm me if you don't want to read all the negative responses.

Comment

I’ve been doing the KETO thing for 80 days. I use the KETO app Stupid Simple. Helps me a lot keeping up with what I eat daily and tracking my weight. I am 59 yrs old, very little exercise( wanting to change that) it has me at 140 G protein, 151 g fat, 20 g carbs and 1997 calories. Works for me. Down 32 lbs, from 230 to 198.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't see any unreasonable responses or bad advice.

From a macro standpoint the 75/20/5 would work well as a rule of thumb, but there are huge variables in individuality and how the diet is formulated. I've sustained deep nutritional ketosis on high quality protein and also 90g carb/day because of the quality of the source. 1g/Lb of body weight is a lot of protein-I would say you're well within that.

I've tested blood ketone levels for the last two years. From personal experience it's difficult to overeat protein unless that's ALL your eating (like a carnivore diet that's popular). It's possible to have ketones drop below the textbook .5mmol from a protein bolus, but it's very short lived and if the results are what you are searching for the amount of BHB (keystone bodies) in your blood isn't the most important thing. I've found that BCAAs will convert more readily and drop ketone production much more quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X