The River is Calling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
    We just moved on once. It was crazy because we actually were on an island but the landowner was pitching such a fit we just figured it wasn’t worth it. Another time we had fully setup camp and we told the guy we wouldn’t leave the bank and then read him the law and politely told him if he wanted to call the Sheriff to verify what we were saying we’d be happy to have the conversation. He sort of grumbled but left us alone.

It’s a little easier in the Colorado to define the banks, because the water level is usually way down below the surrounding land. Can be a gray spot if the land slowly slopes down to the water like many parts of the Guadalupe.

It’s hard to know how it will play out in each situation, but my “plan” would be to invite a landowner to call the Sheriff to clarify the law, but I guess it depends on a number of factors. Hopefully we can continue to avoid such confrontation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Michael, that's another fun looking trip. Great job capturing all that and sharing with everyone. That breakfast looks top notch. I don't know how you all dont look like 49'ers floating down the river with all the equipment you bring. Yall must pack well and must be more storage in the yaks than I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
        Michael, that's another fun looking trip. Great job capturing all that and sharing with everyone. That breakfast looks top notch. I don't know how you all dont look like 49'ers floating down the river with all the equipment you bring. Yall must pack well and must be more storage in the yaks than I thought.

LOL! We’ve actually gotten pretty efficient at packing the yaks, especially when we can spread it between multiple (7 on this trip) kayaks. Keeping ice and drinks is our biggest challenge!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          It’s hard to know how it will play out in each situation, but my “plan” would be to invite a landowner to call the Sheriff to clarify the law, but I guess it depends on a number of factors. Hopefully we can continue to avoid such confrontation.

I know for a fact in some places no matter what the law is. its local sheriff, local landowner, vs out of town kayakers. best to just move on.

Comment

Awesome time right there

Comment

Great stuff Michael!

Comment

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
                I know for a fact in some places no matter what the law is. its local sheriff, local landowner, vs out of town kayakers. best to just move on.

That scenario has crossed my mind, as well.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Another trip in the works soon! Stay tuned!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Our trick for ice was always to put dry ice in the bottom of 1 big cooler and load it up with ice. You'll need a hammer or something because it will freeze solid as a rock, but we always had ice for our entire 3 day trips. We had a "you have to catch dinner" rule. We'd bring sides, but always ate fish for dinner. I'd usually just set drop lines the first night and snag a few big catfish and we'd be set. Jerky and dried sausage made up the rest of our protein rations along with eggs in the mornings.

Those are fun trips. Will have to start doing them again soon.

Comment

Very nice, looks fun.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                        Our trick for ice was always to put dry ice in the bottom of 1 big cooler and load it up with ice. You'll need a hammer or something because it will freeze solid as a rock, but we always had ice for our entire 3 day trips. We had a "you have to catch dinner" rule. We'd bring sides, but always ate fish for dinner. I'd usually just set drop lines the first night and snag a few big catfish and we'd be set. Jerky and dried sausage made up the rest of our protein rations along with eggs in the mornings.

Those are fun trips. Will have to start doing them again soon.
                        I did the dry ice trick on our last outing. We dedicated one cooler for "next day" ice. Put dry ice in the bottom and then packed it full of ice and didn't open it until Sunday morning. It worked well.

"Catch and cook" may be a good idea for our next one!
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                        X