How do you cope with the loss of a Father

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God bless you Sir.
    I haven’t lost my Dad, but he’s 90 and in bad health. I pray I’m as solid and faithful as he is knowing his time is near.
    I have lost a son, and your right people grieve differently. I tried to hunt the same as always and it didn’t seem the same. It took me a couple of years to enjoy it.
    Look forward to hunting with your son as your dad would want you too. I have a wonderful son and grandson to enjoy God’s gifts in the woods.
    Prayers for your loss.
    Time does help ease the pain of your loss.

Comment

Sorry for your lose. It is painful but with time your memories will bring you more and more joy.
      My father, and hero, passed over 25 years ago and he is with me daily. Anytime I get into some type of project he and I have a conversation to go over how he would do it. I think of him with every walk into the woods and we talk while hunting. He had the patience of Job and he has kept me in the stand just a little longer many times. He has slowed me down on many a blood trails and made me wait for the perfect angle for the best shot.
      Hang in there and because you know he would want you too.

Comment

My dad passed in 2002, still miss him every day, even though we miss him it's up to me now to pass on to my sons and grandsons the legacy that he passed to his sons and grandsons. Even though I miss him and sometimes may not be exactly sure about how to go about some things I trust that Dad is still guiding me along the way.

Comment

First off, I’m sorry for your loss.
          Grief is something that each person handles differently.

I lost my father two years ago from complications after a heart surgery performed by VA doctors in conjunction with some of the very best cardio surgeons in the country. Seeing him for 13 days in the hospital with an open chest was brutal and demoralizing. And i still have a hard time thinking about him for how he was prior to surgery. All i see is him laying in a bed with surgical plastic covering a hole in his chest.

But what works for me, may not work for others. When i get to really missing him, i pull out some pictures of him to get my mind off what i saw. Usually, its the picture of him with his first buck that i guided him on here at my place, or the pic of him sitting along a mountain lake fishing the summer before his operation. Something that is a great memory.

Right after the funeral, i shut everybody out. But what i really needed was to be with my wife and son. It kept me occupied and they were great emotional support and a shoulder to cry on.
          It was tough having to pull the plug on my own Father. But after a while, in my case a few years, the bad starts to drift away and all that is left is the good times we had together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I lost my Dad Feb.2nd of this year.So I can relate cause Dad had
            me hunting and fishing all my life.I just try and remember all the
            time we spent togather outdoors and know that Dad's not in pain
            anymore.Its not easy but our Dads would want us to keep on keeping
            on as my Dad would say.
            I'm very sorry for your loss.

Comment

Time.

Comment

Been almost 23 years since mine passed unexpectedly .... as trite as it sounds time has a probably been the best thing. It takes years but eventually the hurt, pain, loss started to ease ... never truely goes away but it’s not as acute. Don’t get me wrong, there are times that I’ll start reminiscing and the tears start flowing. The episodes are fewer and farther between now.

One thing that has helped is my boys. Dad passed before they were born. They love hearing stories about him often asking me to retell them. That helps keep the good memories alive and fresh and is a blessing.

One thing I would add is prayer ... very honest ‘talk’ with God. I had a lot of those in the first years ... in my anger and pain I probably said some things one shouldn’t but thankfully He is forgiving. I believe those talks helped .. got things off my chest ... therapy if you will.

Prayers up for ya

Comment

God be with you sir I lost my Dad three years ago this August and I think of him everyday. That same fall I was in Illinois hunting with my brother and on Sunday I just stayed in the stand that day and reflected on my life and what all I had been blessed with. It was the middle of the day at 12:36 pm when I looked up and the biggest buck I’ve ever shot was walking across the middle of the field.
                  I know that my dad was with me as I shot the deer I felt so proud. Just raise your head and remember what he has taught you during his life. Remember he loves you and wants you to pass it on.

Comment

You put one foot in front of the other each day. You will always miss him but the pain does ease .. prayers sent

Comment

Time is the only answer I have. My dad died 3 months ago, I feel close to him while hunting at the lease. Just remember the good times you had together. Life is a beeyatch sometimes but you have to keep going.

Comment

Sorry for your loss I lost
                        My dad 8 yrs ago it still hurts but I remember the good. The best way I could describe it is just telling yourself “ that’s life “ my uncle told me this and for some reason it’s always helped. It hurt when my dad left. But my brother had died less than a year earlier so it hurt but I was already broken at this point so it didn’t take much out of me. Dad is in a better place watching his granddaughter grow now. Whether he is here or there. I know he will always be protecting us.

Comment

I lost my Dad 14 years ago. I can still remember our last fishing trip like it was yesterday. Be thankful for the time you had together. If you have kids of your own, honor his memory by making new ones with your children. Prayers for your family.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

Still have my Dad. But he's too old to fish anymore, which was his 'thing' with his Dad. After Paw Paw died, my Dad didn't fish for years. Now, with grand children running around, its all he wants to do, but can't.

I think the best thing for my Dad would have been to grab me, or now, grab any of his grand children, and go fishing.

My Paw Paw got the hunting bug started for me. And luckily, I still hunt the same ground he did. I literally walk the same ground he did. And that brings me closer to him. When Dad is gone, you can bet I'll be fishing the same spots we did and laughing about how crazy of dude he was.

Comment

My Dad passed away 4 days after my 19th birthday now I’m 52. I still think about him all the time. I have tried to live my life in way that would have made him proud of me. I spend a lot of time with my son doing the things that I never got to do with my Dad. Just remember life goes on. Remember the good times and don’t dwell on the bad.

Comment

I lost my dad 3 years ago May 21st..... The first year was brutal. This past year has seen some improvements. I still try and pick up the phone to call him..... I make sure I talk about him to my son and remember stories and show pics. I just thank God I had him for 47 years and my son had him for 10.

My prayers go out to you. Its never easy losing a father/dad/friend all rolled into one.

Comment

Working...
                                X