Season opens in less than a week!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season opens in less than a week!

Thinking about trying something new this year. I used to shoot the first legal deer that gave me a shot opportunity when bowhunting.

Last several years I have worked my tail off to try to kill big deer. Usually means passing great bucks in range and then killing culls late in the season.

I think I want to enjoy it like I used to. I think I am going to try to let the air out of the first doe I see. Anybody else ever had the desire to go back to the basics?

All the time. I’ve killed a doe or cull opening morning as far back as I can remember.

Comment

I was going to do exactly what your doing. Haven’t killed with my bow since 2011. But Im not going in this heat. I was all ready for this season but these temps are gonna keep me out of my pop up.

Comment

I flip flop ever year on this one and tend to trophy hunt or hunt my targeted deer as much as possible during the early season. I do this because the deer are still in summer patterns but will be in prerut by the second weekend putting them on the move.

That deer can be a trophy, cull a wise ole foot stomping doe...

I'm hunting a full 7 with a kicker this hoping some of the better looking deer live through the gauntlet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm not looking forward to this weekend. Gonna be 95*. I am hoping that the redneck AC I built will save the day. If not, the evening hunt Saturday will be a short one.

But yes, if a good doe walks out without a young'n attached to her hip Saturday morning I will send it. Don't really have any bucks on camera that I have deemed shooters so unless a new one shows up then I probably won't be targeting bone.
          Last edited by Fargus; 09-22-2019, 09:44 AM.

Comment

I kill a doe or spike early every year. I fill the freezer early and then I can focus on the deer I want to really hunt. Normally it’s the doe that busts me or scares other deer off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think my issue is I am so worried about being the guy that always kills big deer that I make a job out of it. I want to be that goofy kid that was so proud to have killed an old nanny with my bow.

Comment

I just hunt my target deer or if one show up that bigger than the target he gets punched. Let my kids fill the freezer. I don’t remember the last time I even shot a doe.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a freezer queen let it fly

Comment

Originally posted by Black-N-Red View Post
                    I just hunt my target deer or if one show up that bigger than the target he gets punched. Let my kids fill the freezer. I don’t remember the last time I even shot a doe.

Yes sir. Maybe someday. I still love killing deer with a bow. Something about doing the hard way that gets me fired up. When my wife was hunting I was all-in to put her on deer. Once my daughter gets older I am sure my priorities will change. Last year with a newborn my hunting was a bit limited. She is getting bigger and needs less now. I ready for Saturday.

Comment

Shoot does early. Not sure if it helps during the rut but it’s what I’ve tried to always do.

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
                        Shoot does early. Not sure if it helps during the rut but it’s what I’ve tried to always do.
                        I’ve always tried to shoot culls early and does late. I don’t want to take out what brings the bucks in.

Comment

I’m on the prowl for a wall decoration...i don’t have a full mount and now i’m really wanting to be cool like the rest of you. That being said, my patience can’t be trusted. Been a few years since i’ve Killed..soooooo...but that IS the plan...haha

Comment

I’ll be sweating it out Saturday. I like to knock out the jitters on a freezer deer right off the bat

Comment

I used to not when we had a really good lease, I would wait till the end to kill a doe or 2 for meat. Now with my current lease I shoot whenever I can. Didn’t even kill a deer last year and the freezer is empty.. I’m going to hopefully be stacking deer up this season, might even give the does on my 10 acres a hard time during bow season

Comment

Working...
                              X