Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Dodge advise

Looking to buy one soon. Only driven Tahoe’s for years
    Gonna spend most of the time on good roads/highway, but occasionally pulling low boy with Mule or smaller trailer with firewood

Not opposed to a 4x4, if it doesn’t seriously change the MPG.

What gear and engine do you guys suggest?

Thank you.

Big pig

Dodge ram 1500 with 5.7 hemi. Wife drives one and gets 25 on hwy. Pulls a 14 ft utility with a mule 610 and handles it great.

Comment

I drive a,ram 2500 4x4 with 6.4 hemi with 373 gear. Gets 16 hwy and pulls 14ft utility with all huntin gear. Doesn't even know it's back there. Gets 13 to win trailer.

Comment

Thank you very much for the advice.
        I have 200 K on my Tahoe and have had almost zero problems.
        So going to another Brand is a little tougher
        But the advertised deals are very attractive and I don’t want a loaded truck, just dependable and efficient.

Thanks for the help.

BP

Comment

Have a 18 Ram 2500 with the 6.4. It’s going into the shop again next week. Have had the torque converter replaced, and the rear differential rebuilt. It still has some noise coming from the rear end. It has around 19K on it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Louis View Post
            Dodge ram 1500 with 5.7 hemi. Wife drives one and gets 25 on hwy. Pulls a 14 ft utility with a mule 610 and handles it great.
            We have a 2017 4x4 four door at work that has NEVER got better than 16mpg.

What kind of magic are you working???

Comment

Are you calculating the mpg’s by hand when you fill up or going off what the computer says?

Comment

Originally posted by Peta-hata View Post
                Are you calculating the mpg’s by hand when you fill up or going off what the computer says?

This, my computer is always 1 mpg off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow! 25mpg? That’s very good. I have a 2016 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi and the best I’ve ever got had been about 20-21 on Hwy.

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
                    Wow! 25mpg? That’s very good. I have a 2016 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi and the best I’ve ever got had been about 20-21 on Hwy.
                    This is about what I get with my 2016 as well.

Comment

A base line 3.6 with 3:55 if you are only towing what you stated
                      I rented two different rams one with 3.6 it towed light duty just fine mpg was low to mid 20’s
                      Second had a 5.7 towed fine it did haul butt with no load mpg 17-20
                      I hated the dial shifter on both , both 4x2 rental

Comment

Had one ONCE!

Comment

I just bought my fifth Ram 1500 a couple of months ago. Bought the first one in '94 when they took the hood ornament off and went to the new body style. They've been great trucks for me. Last couple have been the 5.7hemi. All 4x4. I pull my 31.5' camper behind the hemi's just fine. I've shopped other brands when I buy and the Ram is always about 10grand or more cheaper w rebates, so that coupled with the fact that they've been very reliable vehicles has kept me in a Ram.
                          Last edited by Roger; 06-27-2019, 08:36 AM.

Comment

2017 Ram 4x4 with 5.7 hemi and 392 gear. I pulled my 1999 Jeep Cherokee on a car hauler to the lease a few weekends ago and she did just fine and easily maintained 70 mph for over 5 hours. However, I didn't want to even think about calculating mileage as I'm barely over 16 mpg mixed city and highway unloaded and I had to stop for fuel once (32 gal tank) on the trip. Anyone with this set up that claims to get over 17 must never get over 2k rpm. I didn't buy the truck for fuel mileage as its a truck and meant to get used. Also, the transmission dial wont be a factor after a few weeks of use and I've come to really like the look.

Lastly, I agree with Roger completely. I just couldn't get passed that the comparable trim on the Ford and Chevy were over 10k more. Maybe its the past Dodges interiors that give the impression these Rams are subpar or maybe its those fancy Ford commercials. All I can speak to is my own experience with the Ram which has been nothing but solid performance and super comfortable. I wouldn't hesitate buying another one.

Good luck!
                            Last edited by Wfranklin; 06-27-2019, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X