No announcement yet.

Which pistol caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been toying with the idea of caliber consolidation myself. I carry a full size xd40 most of the time. Occasionally, I will carry a Springfield Ultra compact in .45. I am most likely going to get vp9 in the future.
    Anyone that thinks 9mm is great for shtf, didn't pay attention during the panic. It was right there with .22lr on the hard to find scale.

Comment

I prefer the 9mm as well. A bit easier to shoot, higher capacity, cheaper ammo, etc. If I could only own one pistol, it probably would be a 9.

I have an XD 40; however, I'm not as accurate with it. The 40 just seems a bit jumpy to me.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
        Even Corbon doesn't come close, you are not just 10mm fanboying me are You?
        your still wrong but as long as you think your right, go ahead its your option

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
          wrong,,, do some research, full power 10mm walks all over the 357 and in some loads is equal to the 41 magnum,, if you don't care for it that's fine its not for everyone,,, but some of us know the difference
          10mm isn’t even in the same ballpark as a 41.. it gets near .357 performance, but doesn’t match it.

Hottest BuffaloBore loads:

10mm: 728 FPE
          357: 783 FPE with a 180, 802 FPE with a 125
          .41: 1074 FPE
          44 mag: 1533 FPE

There is no comparison.
          Last edited by TacticalCowboy; 02-09-2018, 05:14 PM.

Comment

You answered it yourself . 9mm all the way good caliber and best deals on ammo

Comment

What is FPE?

Comment

Originally posted by krisw View Post
                What is FPE?
                Foot-pounds of energy

Comment

Ok thats what I thought but wasn't sure.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                    your still wrong but as long as you think your right, go ahead its your option
                    I told you I don't mind being corrected, but right now you are just going on "You say it, so it is". I actually researched before I posted cause I knew someone would say what you did. So give me any example of a published load or factory ammo that has a higher energy than the buffalo bore 357. Maybe it is out there, but I haven't seen it.
                    Last edited by RJH1; 02-09-2018, 06:00 PM.

Comment

9mm or 45 ACP.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        IMO, cost is the only reason to go 9mm. Everything else is personal preference. I like the .40 and up calibers and don't find any of them hard to shoot, but then I bought my first handgun ever fifty-some years ago.
                        Just commenting on personal preference (agree with this response above) and I really dispute some of the comments about why one caliber is better or worse than another...cited on FBI reviews???? You can Google the question and get THOUSANDS of answers, but most of the time they are all based on personal preference...after citing supporting articles & ballistics of course! You also have to take into account the BRAND...some hate Glocks, others love SIG, some hate semi's, some laugh at wheels? In my past experience we got FBI updates "addressing" this very topic years past. Have NO clue if this still is sent to our Blue Line agencies these days?

My 3 son's and I have experience shooting 9's, 40's, 45's, 10mm, 357/38, 44 mag, 41 mag, 454 cassule,410-45 Long Colt (snake & Hog revolver combo)...so experience with them all and 3 of these for me as an ex-LEO duty calibers. I just count the 357/38 as one since we were not allowed to shoot the 357 in service revolvers...shows you how long ago my LEO days were, lol!!

There are articles, from OLD LEO studies, FBI included...that commented on poor performance from 9mm mainly from trying to penetrate a windshield from a POS trying to run the officer down and outgunned by the bad guys. Articles on why the 10mm was discarded from several LEO agencies including the FBI and reverted back to the 9mm, blamed on agents who could not manage the recoil per performance standards for accuracy. Also my current military son's opinion on 9mm but he carries this caliber as his back up...sniper serving in the Land Of Sand right now and comments about the 9mm failure to stop the enemy at close quarters. But, being realistic...load a combatant up on Hash, PCP, whatever and vital placements make the difference no matter what the caliber??!!

My favorites are for these applications:

*10mm for critter kills at the lease
                        *9mm at home
                        *45 in the truck
                        *38 backup revolver in the truck

ALL except the 38 are "double stack" magazines for added firepower if needed...in other words...if I/you miss during the STRESS of defending or taking down "close quarters" potentially dangerous game like a BLASTED PO'D feral hog or a "hipped up fool bent on killing me/you, I want the extra lead to send down range."

Then you can also open up a "new can of worms," FMJ or Home Defense ammo? The debate goes on and again...it's personal preference based on YOUR research and practical experience at the range! Have fun and buy them all...more fun that way! Talk to the young folks "in harm's way," but don't discard experience from the Ole' Dogs and what they have experienced!

Blessings....the END result is you and your family are safe and sound or can take out the game you are pursuing...seek out "experienced" training and good luck!

Comment

If I could only have one it would be 9mm. Great velocity, capacity, less recoil, and HPs preforms well.

I still use 45acp for in home protection due to less penetration.

I got out of the 40sw game a long time ago. I just don't see a need for it. Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                          X