The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
    I got ya. I’m gonna buy a spotter around Christmas. Basically I’ll either run my 9x45 and a spotter or my 12x56 and a spotter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My spotter seldom ever leaves truck now. With that said if they ever make an image stabilizer one that you can keep truck and ac running, I’m in.

Comment

New Marsupial bino/GPS/rangefinder harness came in this week. Also trying a few different brands of food to see what the buzz is all about. Really impressed with the portion size of the Hawk Vittles. The Sweet Italian Peppers meal is over 800 calories

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
        New Marsupial bino/GPS/rangefinder harness came in this week. Also trying a few different brands of food to see what the buzz is all about. Really impressed with the portion size of the Hawk Vittles. The Sweet Italian Peppers meal is over 800 calories

Nice! I may scrounge your leftovers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post

The Cowboy pasta is really good also. Allow yourself a little more time on dehydrated food. Takes longer to rehydrate compared to freeze dried but it’s much better tasting in my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
            What’s is everyone’s thoughts on the tenzing packs?
            I run a Tenzing TZ 5000 and it works great. Not sure they make that size anymore but the quality is good and they come with Hip pockets, Weapons carrier and rain cover. Lot's of pockets and chambers for keeping gear organized. Expandable and collapsable it has always done what I need it to do.

Hard to beat for the money but the extra cash buys you less weight.

Comment

In

In for this so I can read all!

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                What’s is everyone’s thoughts on the tenzing packs?
                I have a tenzing I bought it after I talked to some guides in Arizona that used it. Guys on solo hunter used it as well. I guess until you haul something out 5 miles you don't really know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Has anyone had their vehicles broken into and gear stolen while they're out on backcountry hunts? It seems like most people just leave their trucks parked on the side of the roads while they're out for days at a time. I'm concerned about leaving a nice cooler and extra gear in there.

Comment

FYI Camofire has all of there Black Ovis merino wool clothes on sale super cheap today.

Comment

No, I’ve never had a problem on any hunt. Most everyone is out there hanging out and enjoying themselves. Happy people aren’t usually A-holes like city people. With that said, lock up anything you are super worried about.

Originally posted by Longue Carabine View Post
                      Has anyone had their vehicles broken into and gear stolen while they're out on backcountry hunts? It seems like most people just leave their trucks parked on the side of the roads while they're out for days at a time. I'm concerned about leaving a nice cooler and extra gear in there.

Comment

I've left a note on my window saying there are Gatorades and water in the ice chest in the back, if you're thirsty please take one just keep the ice chest closed. I've come back to the trailhead with 3 or 4 notes under my wiper saying how nice of a gesture that was and one guy left a number to discuss hunting the area. Turns out he's a great guy and tears Arizona a new one on a yearly basis. Most people are good

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                          I've left a note on my window saying there are Gatorades and water in the ice chest in the back, if you're thirsty please take one just keep the ice chest closed. I've come back to the trailhead with 3 or 4 notes under my wiper saying how nice of a gesture that was and one guy left a number to discuss hunting the area. Turns out he's a great guy and tears Arizona a new one on a yearly basis. Most people are good
                          That's a dang fine idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Longue Carabine View Post

I've always been a litle worried about leaving a bunch of gear at the trailhead in a truck with Texas plates. But I think Trevor is probably right. Most people coming off the trail are too pumped and or tired to mess with your stuff.

I cable lock my yeti to the truck though just in case.

Comment

10 days until sheep. Practicing packing has began. Will update later with it compressed and then in the pack

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                                10 days until sheep. Practicing packing has began. Will update later with it compressed and then in the pack

What sleeping bag is that? I'm shopping down bags now. Chickened out of the quilt idea and I want at least a 15 degree bag but still want it to compress.

Comment

Working...
                                X