Quail hunting in NM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quail hunting in NM

I don't want anyone's secret spot, but I am wanting to drive to NM next weekend and try hunting public land. I have ONX maps which shows blm and state land. Do I just buy my license and drive around and get out and start hunting anywhere that looks good and is public? I have never hunted public land before so it seems kind of weird that there is so much BLM and state land open to the public.

Drive to maljamar or loco hills new Mexico drive around until you see quail let your pointer out of truck and shoot the quail...if you don't have a pointer dog then option B would be to stop truck upon sighting quail and run towards them until they fly, however quail would rather run than fly....good luck

Comment

It's honestly not that good this year. Friends of mine that I quail hunt with, who work in the oil fields(so they are out every day) and have GREAT dogs are struggling to move 6-7 coveys a day. Typically only 4-5 coveys. And coveys are only 15-20 birds.

Comment

I have a GSP and will be hunting him. Mainly scouting around incase next year is good I'll know where to go.

If anyone is like me with one or two dogs want to meet up in SE NM let me know.

Comment

My grandpa used a GSP she was a great dog, we never hunted flat land, we always hunted around mesquite bushs and sandhills below the caprock.

Comment

Following

Comment

One of my main questions is, are public and private lands marked in any way? or do you just look at a map to see where you are?

Someone told me in Kansas they sell a hunt atlas that shows public hunting areas, does NM sell one also?

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post
                One of my main questions is, are public and private lands marked in any way? or do you just look at a map to see where you are?

Someone told me in Kansas they sell a hunt atlas that shows public hunting areas, does NM sell one also?
                They aren't typically marked. Every now and then you'll see signs around State land. NMDGF has an interactive hunt map for your phone, if you download the app. Otherwise, your best bet is an OnXmaps chip for your GPS.

Comment

Rarely are property markers ever present and never assume a fence means anything.

I will agree the population is way down this year. Last few years it was common to finish a day with 10-15 birds. This year I bet my average is 2-3 birds per hunt day. The birds obviously still exist but scent conditions are difficult at best with the current drought.

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post
                    I don't want anyone's secret spot, but I am wanting to drive to NM next weekend and try hunting public land. I have ONX maps which shows blm and state land. Do I just buy my license and drive around and get out and start hunting anywhere that looks good and is public? I have never hunted public land before so it seems kind of weird that there is so much BLM and state land open to the public.
                    Keep me posted and let me know how it goes would definitely be interested in trying if it works out for you. jcf

Comment

Working...
                    X