Honey bees forced abscond 2-19-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honey bees forced abscond 2-19-18

Started out my day off before first light screening in the entrance/exits on this pecan that fell last year when the San Antonio river got out of its banks. At one time this hollow tree was completely under water and I was sure the hive drowned but after the water receded they were still alive somehow... As soon as the temps permitted I began by chaining up to the small end of the tree so I could pull it away from the trunk as I cut down to the comb with my stihl.

I made the first cut several feet from the known entrance and ended up being a few feet from the end of the comb.

Several cuts later I had got within about 6" of the comb on both ends of the hive. I boarded the ends up with plywood to keep the hive and queen in. I went to the shop and brought the skid loader back to move the log full of bees to a spot I wanted to start working them.

I stood the log up, removed the plywood, screwed a bottomboard with a 4" hole in it over the hollow in the log, a deep brood box with 10 frames with foundation as well as a second deep broodbox for extra space as the bees absconded. The dark lid it actually the top of my bee vacuum I use as it has a screened bottom that keeps the queen from escaping when I open the lid to allow the smoke to draw as I cold smoke the vertical log like a chimney.

Put some 2x4's on the log to stabilize it as the ends were not real square.

As the bees absconded they overflowed thru the queen excluder. These bees responded well to the smoke and absconded in about 2 hours. As they began to fan at the entrance I knew I had the queen in my broodbox.

I took them off of the log that evening, and left them until late yesterday evening to let them clean up any of the honey and pollen they had stored. I moved them to the house last night after dark and put a feeder in the empty top brood box so they had a little help as the weather was going to be wet and cold today keeping foraging to a minimum. I will mention that Texas is considered to be an Africanized state and I'm my experience the wild bees down here seem to be about 50/50 Africanized. If you get to work a real docile wild hive you can almost bet the next hive down the road will be hard to handle mean aggressive africans. Proceed with caution when working established wild hives!
    Last edited by MASTERS; 02-21-2018, 01:31 PM.

Wow. Too cool!

Comment

Wow nice work

Comment

nice work

Comment

Good job, i would have just killed them with ALOT OF FIRE!!!!

Comment

Well done

Comment

very cool

Comment

Pretty cool! So did you get the honeycomb out of the trunk?

Comment

Lots of work for sure . Well worth it . I’m going to requeen 2 maybe 3 hives pretty soon .

Comment

I remember my Grandpa had several bee boxes when we were little. We used to get a kick out of shooting BB's at the boxes. I'm assuming you are all suited up doing this?
                    What do you do when you find the mean bees?

Comment

Originally posted by darralld View Post
                      Pretty cool! So did you get the honeycomb out of the trunk?

When the bees abscond they have pretty much ate all the honey they had stored in the comb. The only thing left is stored pollen, eggs, and various stages of larvae. In the pic below is about 16" of comb I pulled out of the hollow to inspect yesterday evening before moving the hive to the house.

Comment

Good for you for saving the bees. They are very necessary in our world today. This was very interesting to read.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                          I remember my Grandpa had several bee boxes when we were little. We used to get a kick out of shooting BB's at the boxes. I'm assuming you are all suited up doing this?

What do you do when you find the mean bees?

I wear regular work jeans, t-shirt, and a breathable bee jacket with veil when I work on a wild hive. I've found a few Africanized hives around southern Bexar and northern Wilson counties. When a wild Africanized hive pose a threat to livestock and people's health they are dealt with accordingly and usually have their genetic potential erased by fire under the cover of darkness....

Comment

Really enjoyed the read, and thank you for taking time to post.

Comment

Good job
                              Thanks for posting, enjoyed the read

Comment

Working...
                              X