No announcement yet.

Keto diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't have to eat junk and definitely not the same thing all the time. I love BBQ so end up eating a LOT of that, but just gobbled up some Tamale Pie the wife made me. There's a lot of great keto compliant foods. You just need to find sources for recipes, she even crushes up pork rinds and somehow makes me tortillas out of them and makes me pancakes for breakfast out of cream cheese, it's like magic. I love all the caveman keto stuff on instagram but don't think we've used a single one of the recipes because we're busy with all the other variety we've found elsewhere.

As for the diet, you'll get a lot of blah blah don't need keto diet replies from people who don't understand it. In the end it's a diet just like the rest. I can lose weight or gain weight on any diet and I've done quite a few, in the gym I make my best gains with a classic 40/40/20 and my lifts go up, same diet I can drop lbs seemingly at-will. No matter the case though I get the glucose ups and downs and need coffee or lack energy at certain times of the day. That's not the case with keto, once I'm in ketosis I have smooth constant energy the entire day, sleep better, less moody, etc. The only thing I'll say is if you enjoy running, like long distance running or extremely long cardio sessions then this is not the type of diet for you.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDownSouth View Post
      Thank you. I've lost 9lbs in 2 weeks. Hardest part, ain't gunna lie. My beer intake
      Switch to Crown & Coke Zero or anything clear & Sprite Zero.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDownSouth View Post
        Thank you guys for all the support and advise. I am a outside salesman and drive about 5000 miles a month. So it's kinda hard to stay on point. I'm thinking making Premaid lunches and snacks for the road.
        Calories in VS calories out. There is no harm in stopping at Rudy's and eating a half lb of moist brisket, or getting a double meat cheese whataburger with no bun, no maters, no sauce. Not the healthiest thing obviously and you don't want to do it all the time, but stay within your caloric goals and you're fine when you get in a pinch. I keep a bag of almonds and whey protein with me everywhere I go.

Comment

I take it keto = Atkin's but people need a latest and greatest name to it.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
            I take it keto = Atkin's but people need a latest and greatest name to it.
            "Keto" is just short for ketosis which is the actual metabolic process, so Atkins and any other name for similar diets are all keto diets usually with some weird unnecessary customizations.

Comment

Bottom line no matter what diet your on or if your just clean eating, if your not at a calorie deficit at the end of the day you are not going to loose weight.

Comment

Either way.. thank you again from the advice and I'll stay on track and positive.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post

I've been in the gym for a long time and those guys you wished you looked like are all cheating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  I have come to this same conclusion for the middle age to older guys like myself. My doctor told me that is not an obtainable goal at my age. He said just keep eating healthy and exercising and Im good. Gravity and getting old sucks!

Comment

Learn how to live longer, be healthier, and optimize your performance. The Drive Podcast The Drive is hosted by Dr. Peter Attia,...

Above is a website from Dr. Peter Attia. There's a bunch of articles from both a techinical and practical standpoint about the keto diet. I heard him on the Jocko podcast and loved his quote about diets:
                    "I don't argue about diets with people. Diets are a pseudoscience masquerading as religion...I don't care what diet your on, find one that's works for you and get after it." That's not an exact quote, but it's pretty close. Basically, pick a healthy lifestyle that works for you and go for it.

For me, I have to cut carbs to lose weight. The keto diet is one I can live with.

Comment

Not really on a true Keto, but I don't eat any grains, nuts, processed foods, or drink beer. I noticed that bacon is actually good to me when it comes to energy gain without sluggishness.

Mix up your meats and don't be afraid to try organ meats like liver and heart. I do it so I don't get tired of chicken and beef.

Comment

Go info felllas... Hoping to try to change my eating habits and have been considering this...

Here is a link I have been looking at. https://www.ruled.me Anyone doing Keto ever tried the recipes on here??

A couple of questions for the guys on the Keto eating plans: how do you know you have reached the point were your body is "running" on mainly fat?? And what type of effects can be expected from a "cheat meal" ??

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                          A couple of questions for the guys on the Keto eating plans: how do you know you have reached the point were your body is "running" on mainly fat?? And what type of effects can be expected from a "cheat meal" ??
                          So when you first transition into ketosis, well for me anyway, first 3-4 days suck pretty bad, headaches and sluggish and maybe a little confused (more than normal lol) but that all suddenly goes away and then smooth solid energy all day. I've gone on/off enough to where I don't really care to pay attention whether I'm actually in ketosis or not I just eat and go and let it happen. Cheat meal I always do last meal of the day then hit the bed, and I don't overdo it so most of the carbs from that simply go to replenishing the glycogen stores and I'm back in ketosis by morning. Some people end up doing a whole cheat day or a big cheat meal in the morning and feel like crap all day, last meal of the day is where it's at and don't go ape with it. When you have a food craving or really want something silly like a cupcake, and you will, put it on your list and eat the hell out of that on your cheat meal. It helps to keep your willpower up. If you do a lot of cardio or lift you can be a little more loose with your keto diet because you're burning the carbs, which helps a lot with meal variety and ingredients. Over time you'll learn what works and what doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                            Go info felllas... Hoping to try to change my eating habits and have been considering this...

Here is a link I have been looking at. https://www.ruled.me Anyone doing Keto ever tried the recipes on here??

When adapting to fat as fuel, I and a lot of folks will feel sluggish and foggy. I don't get the keto flu because I salt my foods and use magnesium and potassium supplements. 1st you can use keto stix to pee on. That is a rough guesttimate to tell of your peeing ketones. Their is also a breathalyzer for ketones and if you want to keto really fancy, they have finger stick machines. Just like the ones diabetics use but it detects ketones not glucose. When I'm adapted, I will get increased energy after drinking a keto coffee. I like butter and coconut oil in mine. Your thought process will clear up and you can. Find yourself feeling full all and not feel like your hungry 24/7. This might be tmi but my gi tract feels 100 % better. My reflux is greatly decreased and my energy levels are steady.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                              So when you first transition into ketosis, well for me anyway, first 3-4 days suck pretty bad, headaches and sluggish and maybe a little confused (more than normal lol) but that all suddenly goes away and then smooth solid energy all day. I've gone on/off enough to where I don't really care to pay attention whether I'm actually in ketosis or not I just eat and go and let it happen. Cheat meal I always do last meal of the day then hit the bed, and I don't overdo it so most of the carbs from that simply go to replenishing the glycogen stores and I'm back in ketosis by morning. Some people end up doing a whole cheat day or a big cheat meal in the morning and feel like crap all day, last meal of the day is where it's at and don't go ape with it. When you have a food craving or really want something silly like a cupcake, and you will, put it on your list and eat the hell out of that on your cheat meal. It helps to keep your willpower up. If you do a lot of cardio or lift you can be a little more loose with your keto diet because you're burning the carbs, which helps a lot with meal variety and ingredients. Over time you'll learn what works and what doesn't.

As far as cheat meals go, you can get that carb crash and bloated feeling after the cheat meal. It will knock you out of ketosis and you'll have to go through the introduction/adaption phase all over again. I find the intro phase is shorter after a cheat meal than, at the beginning. I've lost 45 lbs since Oct of last year on keto. Not 100% on because I took the holidays off and I do live a little. I'm not a competitive lifter or bodybuilder so, I don't have to get shredded but that is the eventual goal. You will most likely gain at least 5 lbs by the next day but remember, it's all water and will be off in a day or 3.

Ment to quote Pedernal

Comment

Thanks fellas!! I will definitely be giving this a go soon..

Comment

Working...
                                X